Register

Holstein Rabbits

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,451.00

Holstein Rabbits

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ladysown » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:32 am

have you heard the horror of that rabbit farmer... sick, dying rabbits.

It's just awful.

Anyone know how it got so out of hand for that ...uh... breeder?

It's all over the rescue networks and just fuels the fire of fanatics....
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,779.00

Re: Holstein Rabbits

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Preitler » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:54 pm

Any links?
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness, then I am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious commodity is so much misery"

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 685.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Harelady » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:55 pm

I did some research since I had not heard about it. Yeah the pictures are not good. The video I found was interesting. The farmer is playing a number game with his rabbits I think. Loosing some is fine. He has them packed pretty tight in large pens which is going to cause death by disease or more likely fighting. Similar to the way chickens are raised here though I think rabbits don't take to those conditions as well. Not in anyway how I would raise meat rabbits. My rabbits have clean cages, enrichment, and there own properly sized cage.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,451.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ladysown » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:54 pm

quick links:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener ... -1.4271823

http://923thedock.com/abuse-allegations ... tigations/

according to the rabbit rescues, the SPCA is not doing ANYTHING. Just posting notes. Saying that trespassers are the ones causing rabbit deaths. The fellow responsible is alleged to have done this before in BC.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,680.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:07 pm

and here I am feeling guilty for not giving the rabbits hay today cause I wasnt feeling well. I knew most of em had some left and they all had plenty of pellets

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,364.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby alforddm » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:37 am

I always take reports like this with a grain of salt. Yes, animal cruelty does occur, but PETA has really made me skeptical of many cruelty claims and the videos I saw of this case could easily have been staged (ie take a baby out of a cage and put it on a pile of poop under a cage and film). I generally don't trust videos unless they show the actual entering of the establishment and the findings. One of the claims specifically showed urine and poop hanging from the ceiling??? I could see it hanging from a cage but how does it hang from a ceiling? The live rabbits in the pictures all looked well fed if crowded.

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,499.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby TeaTimeBunnies » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:35 am

Alforddm, in the the video it shows that the urine hanging from the ceiling, is hanging from the ceiling of the shed basement below the rabbits so I get that. The farmer used the shed basement as sort of a giant dropping pan it's seems. My take on this is yeah the farmer should have shoveled out the shed basement area, and the rabbits were a bit cramped, but it seems like the rabbits that were dead in the muck probably got in there themselves. In the video she said that the door was open, and It said that many rabbits were released by trespassers, so I could definitely see rabbits getting in there and dying, and perhaps a mama getting in there and having kits being born thus the kits in the muck too

__________Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:35 am __________

Also most of the groups covering this are the "go vegan because meat is murder" and "bunnies are pets not food" groups. They also seem to be focusing all the attention on about 3 rabbits who did look in bad shape, but could easily have been a result of fighting in the cramped spaces, and the two kits, who to me looked like their mama wasn't actually dead, and just was not around, because those kits look pretty well fed to me. A few things should certainly change on that farm, but to me it doesn't seem like the owner was treating them as absolutely horrible as the coverage is making it seem. Only issues I'm seeing are overcrowding, needing a good cleaning underneath the cages, and recapturing the rabbits that were let loose. This is just my take on it though
I breed English spot, Mini Rex, Lop mix, Dwarf mix, And Meat mutts
https://teatimebunnies.wordpress.com/

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,982.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Dood » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:09 am

I have a lot of issues with this reporting

I think that "kit by his dead mother" was totally staged based on its huge milk belly, and was probably from a litter that one of loose rabbits had somewhere near the barn

Rabbits don't choose a manure pile to die on but hide in a corner somewhere so those were much more likely tossed there by the farmer to compost

They also don't sit in the middle of a open lawn and expire and the dead rabbits outdoors were likely killed and/or mortally wounded by loose dogs or wildlife

A much more plausible scenario is somehow (accidentally or purposely) a bunch of rabbits got loose and couldn't be caught so they are left feral and do what rabbits do which is breed and get attacked by predators. The barn door was propped open so they could still have some shelter, food, and to catch the few who huddle in there when the farmer stops by to top up the water and food

The following user would like to thank Dood for this post
MaggieJ, Silver Willow

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 59,458.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:24 am

Makes sense to me, Dood.

Post Number:#10  Unread postby TeaTimeBunnies » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:31 am

Makes sense to me too. I definitely have an issue with the babies, I really don't think that they were orphaned. They looked too well cared for to have their mother be dead. To be honest it looks as if the babies were snatched from a nearby nest as dood said. But how it is reported definitely sets if red flags, such as in the video she generalized that condition being what ALL meat rabbits are put through, and the Facebook links led to "go vegan" groups as well as "rabbits are pets not food" I totally believe that this situation was blown way out of proportion by people who don't understand what is truly going on or how things work

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 5,796.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Nyctra » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:18 am

I didn't watch or read it all, but I thought it was a little bit fishy too that the video in the report had the person gagging and making a big deal about the smell while standing outside, but I didn't hear the person in the barn in the manure gagging from the smell. :? But, I didn't watch it all, either.

I let my manure build up quite a bit, but my rabbit stink reminds me more of apple juice, so much so I can't drink apple juice anymore. :lol: It's only when it's dug into to the soggy mushy parts that it smells horrid, :x but maybe that's just me.

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,680.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:01 pm

What Dood said makes a ton of sense yeah.
Nyctra, Rabbits can smell in a closed area cause of the urine, the manure itself doesnt smell unless you move it around unlike other types of animals. So I have a big pile of manure and I leave it undisturbed other then when adding more to it and it doesnt smell. While, when I visit my friend's rabbits my eyes burn and the stench clings to me even when I get home cause the enclosed area she has them in doesnt drain of urine well.
The bulk of those rabbits are kept indoor and the person on the video kept standing right next to the fans, it could very well smell bad in that spot outside for that reason.

Post Number:#13  Unread postby TeaTimeBunnies » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:43 am

I know that I've comment multiple times now, but I just noticed another issue. It showed pictures of the rabbits all packed together in the cages, but I didn't see packed rabbits when the video looked up to the cages. Did anyone else notice that?

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,595.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby shazza » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:57 am

yeah, i did. i was looking specifically for that, too. the only shots of the cages shown in the videos show one or two rabbits hopping across with what appears to be tons of space :/

i'm also really confused as to where the photographer is in those videos. they point the camera UP in order to show the fur/spiderwebs hanging from the bottoms of the cages...are they crawling around on the ground in piles of poop? or if the cages are that high up, how on earth would someone get up there to feed everyone? am i missing something?

i had the game gut feelings as dood. that kit is too healthy, and those rabbits look like they were tossed on the piles to compost. it doesn't say how many rabbits the farmer had, but the size of that barn was pretty huge, so yeah, i can believe there was that many casualties. it seems like a bit more than i would be comfortable with in that one area, but considering the property was supposedly abandoned, it's not an outrageous amount of deaths.

there's so many so-called cruelty cases i've seen on peta and other ara youtube videos that really just look like your average backyard DIY rabbitry. honestly there's only a few in general that look like actually legitimate cruelty.
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

Post Number:#15  Unread postby TeaTimeBunnies » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:23 am

I think I can help a bit shazza. Barns like that are often 2 story so it's likely one of the locked doors with biohazard signs has a staircase that leads up. Also with that much space and that many rabbits, it's likely the poo was piled so high, because the farmer probably does a yearly cleaning with a tractor of some kind. The ag barn at the highschool I went to did yearly cleanings like that. I also don't think it's actually abandoned since someone put out food, and it said that teams from the farm were trying to catch rabbits that were released by trespassers. Also with the doors propped open I wouldn't be surprised if some of the rabbit in the poo were also chased there by predators as well as the ones being tossed there. I personally feel that the large amount of dead rabbits is likely due to predators

Next