Holland Lop litter!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LopLionheadLady

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Yesterday my doe (Lola) gave birth to six babies, full breed Holland lops. I just had a question regarding the babies. So I read that some may need help using the bathroom and you need to stimulate the babies with cotton. Is this necessary? Also I heard it is rare to catch your bunny feeding or giving birth, and I have cough both of them! LOL! The babies are nice and round, warm and are moving. Also, I can tell that she had fed them when I checked on them, but could she stop feeding them and abandon them at some point or does this mean she is good since she has already fed them? Thanks in advance! I will post pictures soon! :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :D
Also one more thing: Should I be feeding her anything extra, to make sure she is getting enough nutrients. I am currantly feeding unlimited pellets, hay, water.

Stimulating bowels would really only be necessary if you were bottle feeding. Mommas do all that for you.
I've seen a few births, only because I check on pregnant mommas every hour or so on their due date. Since I mostly shelve my babies I'm always there for feedings. The more involved you can be in their upbringing the more they'll be sociable in the future. She won't abandon them. And yes, feeding them right away is a good momma trait.

I typically add sunflower seeds and calf manna if she has a large litter, is losing weight or just because you want to keep her in good condition.

sounds like you have everything goin good! highly recommend feeding the mom some oats and hay along with parsley and other fatting foods for good milk. I've always given them a handful of oats and the babies tend to get fat fast <br /><br /> -- Fri May 31, 2019 10:45 am -- <br /><br /> sounds like you have everything goin good! highly recommend feeding the mom some oats and hay along with parsley and other fatting foods for good milk. I've always given them a handful of oats and the babies tend to get fat fast

Thank you all for the help! One more thing. So when I check on the babies and then put them back, my doe pulls more fur and puts more hay in like she needs to put her sent back. Is this normal

I don't think its about scent. Shes just a vigilant mom and wants to keep the nest perfect and the kits covered. Only thing to really worry is that she doesnt accidentally get them too warm. They need it nice and warm, but depending on your climate and where you house, you may want to bring the nest box in during the day and just let them stay with mom overnight when its coolest.

Hi thank you! The bunnies live inside our home and have air conditioning! I will still make sure they are not to hot! Thank you so all your help!

just remember that fur can also cool and keep the heat out but hay just insulates. I've only lost 6 kits from the heat. also if ur lucky, the rack on ur toaster oven can fit in the opening of the nest box so the kits can't jump out if they are in the popcorn phase

Back