Holland Lop buck shows NO interest in breeding???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
We have a Holland lop buck that we estimate is 9 to 12 months old. We have no other information on him. We just tried to breed him with one of our does and he showed ABSOLUTELY no interest. None at all! I even tried to put him on her back side and he wanted NOTHING to do with it.

I'm positive he is a buck because I looked and I can see all this stuff. Is there a way to "see" if he has been "fixed"? Would that TOTALLY kill his mating drive?

This is the very first time in my life I have ever come across a buck that had no interest at all.

Side note - after no success with the buck mentioned above, we took the doe and tried with a different buck...... He scored twice.

Thank you.

could be any of the following:

1. could be neutered... have you seen testicles? if you see them, he hasn't been. :)

2. Could have been introduced when young to a nasty doe and learned to stay cool and very quiet around does.

3. could have a low sex drive.. and yes.. it happens

4. could be younger than you think and so just doesn't have a clue. It's hard to accurately age bunnies.

5. could be stress (new place, sights sounds and he's just overwhelmed)

So what do we do at this point? Wait a few weeks and see if he's interested then?

Any food or anything that we can give him to put him in the mood? We have read that you can use BOSS or apple cider vinegar for does to help get them going, but what about for bucks?

He's so beautiful and we would love to have him father some kits.

Thank you.

I use apple cider vinegar for all my breeding stock with a lot of luck, and also put them in an exercise pen to breed, and so far they always do what they are supposed to. I only have Hollands. I have had one who didn't get the right spot but he didn't lack for
trying and made plenty of good attempts:). Good luck, hope it works!

Also-it's possible he thought she was already pregnant by trying to read her and he was wrong, sometimes that will cause them not to want to try....

Latest posts

Back