holland lop babies and their ears

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookie

Reaction score
FullSizeRender (1).jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

Hi,

We picked out a holland lop baby today (daughter and i are so excited!). It is only 2 weeks old, so we can't take it home yet. I did my research and think the holland lop is best for my family. the babies i saw today all had ears much shorter than i expected. they didn't point down. the breeder said they will grow. is that right?

i'm wondering if these are holland lops or another breed. Thanks for your help!

Normal :)
I have two that age and those colours in the nest and they are the same :)
Depending on the line, ears can take a bit to fall.

Thanks!

My daughter chose the brown one; I hope it is a boy!

Its eyes are goopy. Breeder said that's normal too as it just opened its eyes. Is that true? Hoping it's healthy.

Ladysown is probably more knowledgable than I am, but I am wondering if the breeder said that but really meant crusty is normal. In my experience there should be no runny goop, but we did have some crust that we had to gently wash off from a couple of ours when they first opened their eyes. It was pretty stuck on and we had to try at least a couple of times to get it off, then they were fine. But anything visible that's runny should be cause for concern and caution.....

Thanks - it was probably more crusty, although one eye had a little white-ish clump on the eye. Thinking more after reading your post, I'm not sure if what I saw on the eye was crust or goop. But I will definitely ask more questions and look more closely. Any specific I should ask?

Thanks so much!! This will be our first bunny. :bunnyhop:

If there is a little crust it is fine, but any goop, liquid discharge or very matted hair beside the eye is bad. Sometimes they get a tiny whitish eye booger in their eye though:) The eye should be clear and shiny.

They are very cute! Congrats!

How old will it be when you take it home?

That is a very young rabbit and the ears will be very teensy, if you look at the parents you should have some idea of how the bunny's ears might mature.

Not to be negative but I think it is odd for a breeder to let you pick out babies that early, a lot can happen between two weeks and eight, and you are essentially looking at an infant so it would be hard to determine personality at that age, they are all cute.

We have to wait another 4 weeks to take it home - it will be just over 6 weeks. Weened plus a few days. Breeder said she would save the one my daughter picked but wouldn't take anything until that pick up - she said in case bunny doesn't make it ... And that we would keep an eye on the eye.

She did say that if bunny doesn't make it (because sometimes they don't), she doesn't want to refund etc. so can't buy the bunny beforehand.

Although she will let daughter visit it.

I'm more concerned about the eye now, after reading this, so will have to see. Maybe take a different one and ask to see parents. We aren't going to show the rabbit, so maybe ear length not crucial ... But floppy ears are adorable.

Thanks!!

I am always cautious about breeders who sell babies before 8 weeks. There seems to be something about that Mark that's important, and research shows that kits who nurse from mom til at least then have a much better chance of survival.......

Thanks - will proceed with caution here. Maybe wait the extra 2 weeks. Or look for another holland lop breeder. They are hard to find here in northern New Mexico.

Thanks. Farmington is pretty far; but I sent a message. The other links not really working. Spoke to someone who has Netherlands dwarfs but they are a 5 hour drive, one way, and said holland lops are hard to find in nm.

:(

If this baby doesn't work out, Maybe will wait for the next litter or get from the pet store - but I don't know what breed he sells at the store. Daughters bday is next week, though she understands she would have to wait for a baby to ween.

Thanks for the input.

I am sorry it seems frustrating and there are a lack of Hollands in your area. They make wonderful pets and I do hope you and your daughter get to experience that one day, hopefully sooner than later. Keep moving forward with the ones you found, just maybe ask if the breeder will allow them to nurse longer if mom will allow it, and see if the eye issue goes away. If you really want to try and make it work you could always meet with a vet and try to have the kit seen and assessed before taking it on as well. Both options may cost more money but may be worth it in the long run. Plenty of people have gotten into rabbits no knowing as much as they maybe should (including myself) and have learned as we go with sometimes fatal mistakes. This is a great forem to check in on and ask questions, and I have seen you have had several good ones. Don't be discouraged, I'm sure there is a sweet bunny out there who will need your family:)

Thanks! Yes - this forum is awesome! I've already learned so much!!! Good idea about bringing baby to vet. I'm also starting to look for breeders in southern Colorado . But maybe this baby will be fine. Time will tell.

I am originally from CO and have done some searches there. Not sure how long of a drive some of those places will be but I know there one of them is for sure on here occasionally, and the state of CO as a whole has a lot of breeders:). But yes, these may end up being ok. Keep us posted, keep asking questions, and post more pics when you get some at home!

We don't know where you're at in NM but...If you're not to busy this weekend you can join us at the state fair grounds in Pueblo, CO. It's Our last local show of the year and there are always lots of Hollands here. (several for sale) ;) If you can't make it Saturday I'll try and get some info and pics of bunnies for you. show catalog
It's the The annual Chile & Frijoles Festival weekend too.
pepper_1.gif

Is that the Rocky Mtn high show?

Thanks homer!! I was just told about it by a CO breeder!! I just may try to make it! That breeder has a 4 month old. Thanks for the info!

Back