Holland buck has no stamina.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashro317

Reaction score
I have a total of 5 Holland lops, 2 bucks and 3 does. All bucks and does turned a year in May or June except for an older proven doe. I have attempted to breed my broken tort buck to 2 of my does but he has no stamina. He is very interested though. I have tried him late evening and early morning since we are in Alabama. Any advice?!?

Early morning is better than evening, just as the sun comes up (so you can see). If he's carrying any extra weight, that would slow him down and cut into stamina. Make sure he has little fat - I have one Rex-furred boy here that I have to ration his pellets every summer or he puts on weight. Also, if you feed pellets, make sure to supplement with a little BOSS and green stuff, as vitamins A and E aren't shelf-stable in pellet form. I'd also put a splash of apple cider vinegar in his water.

Finally, we're past the solstice, heading for the equinox, so he may be in get-ready-for-winter mode with the shortening days.

I added BOSS to everyone's feed this week and added ACV last week. I'm going to back off everyone's pellets because I think they are being overfed. He seems to be a good weight and I was raised with rabbits but didn't take much interest in them until now. Which greens do you recommend???

I grab a couple handfuls of grass when I go to feed, unless I see the rare dandelion. Honestly, whatever is handy on the way from the feed shed to the hutch ... they don't seem to mind weeds. If you want some uber-nutritious plants, parsley and kale pack a punch. If you haven't been feeding fresh green stuff, be sure to start them off ***SLOWLY*** or you risk upsetting their system which can lead to diarrhea, which can be deadly this time of year. Also, it doesn't take a whole lot of BOSS - I usually mix it in with pellets twice a week. BOSS can add weight, being high in fat/oil. Great for nursing does, but too much adds fat which is also a factor in fertility for both sexes.

On judging weight, I usually feel along the spine and upper rib cage. You should be able to feel the ribs faintly, but not actually see them.

Back