Hoarders featuring rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sungura

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the show "hoarders"? there was an episode on the other day where someone was hoarding 30 free range rabbits in a RENTAL HOUSE! It wasn't even their home, the rabbits have destroyed the place. Anyone seen this episode? I would have been having bunny stew every night! It was quite entertaining.

:bunnyhop: :pancake: :bunnyhop: :pancake: :pancake: :bunnyhop:

I haven't seen it- we cancelled our satellite TV a couple of years ago.

Were the rabbits in the yard or in the house itself? I wouldn't consider 30 outdoor rabbits to be hoarding, but they will do a lot of damage to plants and will undermine foundations with their burrowing, so should be kept penned up.

I can't imagine having 30 rabbits loose in the house itself. :shock: There wouldn't be much carpeting or baseboards left, not to mention the dangers of electrical fires from chewed wiring. :x

MamaSheepdog":1x0vfvr1 said:
I haven't seen it- we cancelled our satellite TV a couple of years ago.
Same here. When we moved two years ago, we got an antenna. We hardly have any stations, and that's the way we like it. :) We mostly just watch old movies and old TV shows on the thing, anyway. Not much interested in current TV.

MamaSheepdog":1x0vfvr1 said:
Were the rabbits in the yard or in the house itself?
I was wondering this, too... but the OP sounds like they were in the house. :shock:

That is one of the few episodes I have seen, we don't have tv but a friend thought I would get a kick out of it.

THEY WERE LOOSE IN THE HOUSE! pooping everywhere, randomly breeding and eating the walls. Poor bunnies.

Yup, inside loose in the house making nests in the walls and pooping everywhere! I think it's on Netflix too.

I've watched some episodes on amazon instant video but I didn't find it that interesting. In some of the cases I saw no harm in letting the people continue doing things. Like the person collecting dolls and other collections that are not creating a dirty living condition. What harm is it if they want to fill the extra bedrooms and part of the rest of the house with collected items like that... There are far worse things they could do. The people living in trash, making a dangerous environment when they can't get around well, and keeping more animals than they can care for I can understand the need to help.

I actually joked about buying this extremely cheap little house just to put rabbits in. :lol: I've also joked about turning a room in to a bunny colony without cages. In that case though I would tear up the carpet, lay down cheap linoleum, and board up the walls will 2x4s and sealed plywood. No electrical down low. 30 isn't really that many if you are protecting the house and removing the poop. They would make a mess quite quickly if you didn't maintain them.

I've watched the hoarding show a couple of times. When I look at the pile up of stuff in my garage sometimes I worry that I have some symptoms of hoarding. But after watching that show for a few minutes I quickly learned, I'm not like a hoarder at all. In one show a hoarder was really upset because someone was throwing away his used paper towels, which could have been useful later on... In another show a women had 100s of cardboard boxes and was throwing a fit because someone was throwing one away, a perfect green one that was a perfect size for holding books, so obviously crazy to throw away. Those poor people.

Hoarding runs on my mom's side of the family especially with old age. Nearly everyone has a basement or entire outbuilding full of damaged stuff that they won't throw away. When I moved in to my great aunt's house we had to spend 3 weeks pulling out all the newspapers, receipts, dead plants, old damaged furniture, and so on that was packed starting with the bedroom and moving out through the rest of the house until the only thing you could walk through was the back door, through a strip in the kitchen, to her chair in the diningroom. My aunt and uncle have 4 sheds, a garage, a 3x larger garage add on, and a basement full of stuff. They claimed my chicken coop when we left there and have filled that. My mom is starting to do it too. First the closet got full of christmas stuff, then the next closet, then we built an area on top of the garage and that got full, she was 3 horse stalls into the stable last time I was there... She also flipped that when I sold the horses I sold some saddles that had been used once in my lifetime and probably only once in hers. One hadn't even properly fit any horse it had been used on and probably never would fit another of the breeds we were used to keeping. Whatever. I will return what tack I don't care about cause it doesn't even sell for enough to be worth it these days, take the couple good saddles and hard to find tack pieces, and she can sit on the rest until it rots from lack of care. No one is going to clean and maintain the tack for the next 10 years if ever again and half of it is already barely salvageable.

Any time I watch a Hoarders episode, I get a bit motivated and start throwing stuff out. I identify all to easily with the hoarder-- The empathy is incredible..
But, as one comic that shows up on FB often puts it--" when I watch Hoarders, I realize how clean my house is!"

I was going to check back to that episode on Netflix, looks like they did not renew their license for A/E.
Gary is a big a-hole that mistreats his wife and neglects his bunnies. "If you came a year ago, they wouldn't be in this condition"

After growing up with it I'm a little too quick to throw stuff out. Don't need it this year then maybe get rid of it. Don't need it in the next 5 years then good bye. I do usually try to get a little cash, then to give it away free so someone else gets use out of it, and then actually throw it away.

My in laws was quick to tell me about that show I guess there was one with chickens in the house too? I was like I don't even keep my rabbits or chickens in the house, although if the hens are running around the yard and I leave the door open they will come in. :lol: I chase them out though.

My grandma was a hoarder! When we cleaned out her house after she died, we found all kinds of stuff! She liked to buy her stuff, not hoard trash. If it was on sale she had to buy a bunch of it even if she didn't need it. She had a bathtub that was full to the ceiling with toilet paper, the guest bedroom was full of kids clothes, that she had bought and forgot she had or never got around to giving to her great grand kids.

On the episode I saw there were WAY more than 30 rabbits. The house was filled with them, every surface covered. The woman had actually moved into a travel trailer next to the house, and then proceeded to fill it with free range rabbits as well. It was freaking disgusting. Everyone and everything was living in filth and urine and feces.

I had to go into an animal hoarder's house once on a seizure, and the ceiling was actually dripping urine in places from all the feral cats in the attic. The floor was so wet it flexed when you walked on it. They had their clothes in the fridge to keep the cats and dogs from fouling them. We had hazmat suits and cheap respirators on and the smell still made one girl vomit. And of course the owners screaming that we were stealing their precious furbabies that they took such awesome care of. Well, not such awesome care of the dead cat we found rotting behind the fridge...

I'm betting that rabbit hoarder's house smelled about the same.

I went to a farm where they fed the cats infinite amounts, didn't neuter, and let them wander the house. I didn't see inside but the person I was with said it was absolutely disgusting. Outside there were cats covered in lice and other parasites. I went to see why these kittens were crying in the yard and then one turned toward me, I guess from noise, and it's eyes were stuck shut from infection and it's ears were raw from mites. It was horrible and I just had to walk away from them. I suppose you can call that cat hoarding even though she didn't bring in more cats from other places. I couldn't believe she was just petting the lice, mite, and mange covered cats like they were perfectly healthy pets. I couldn't stand it. The person I was with reported her after we left. We hope someone went in and removed the cats or even just put some down instead of living in those miserable conditions.

I have seen that episode and it was ridiculous. There was another were a lady had a bunch of birds that she let fly around the house. They just pooped on everything. They showed her watching tv and the birds would poop all over her. Mental Health problems are so devastating to peoples lives. Having dealt with OCD and collecting I can see how things can easily get out of control. I've been fortunate and have had mine under control for years but it took a lot of work and I lost a lot of things in my life along the way.

Back