Register

Hmm...

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 4,899.00

Hmm...

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Prisma » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Wire causes broken legs in rabbits often.....

Now that is a new one to me. Any one else ever hear of this? I thought I'd heard every thing but was scanning through postings and saw a livid post about how the wire causes broken legs as the rabbits get them stuck. Was not going to comment considering the conversation and replies. I've never had that happen, even with litters. An occasional kit will drop a leg through but pick up and put back without any major injuries. I could see if a person is trying to use the wrong wire, say 2x4 inch wire for the floor...but regular flooring wire :?:
Visit the Rabbitry on the web @ http://prismaticrabbitry.wixsite.com/prismatic

Specializing in Mini Rex for showing (tri). Select few Netherland Dwarfs just for fun.
Located near Glenville, West Virginia

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Re: Hmm...

Post Number:#2  Unread postby akane » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:09 pm

I have seen a few people report freak accidents with kits but there should be no risk with an adult and even with kits it's a rare occurrence if using the right size wire. Now toenails getting ripped off and sometimes broken toes can happen. People neglecting nail trimming and/or dragging the rabbit across the cage to get it out.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,899.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Prisma » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:48 pm

This was over an obvious bad fracture, whole foot was turned backwards, owner could not say whether bone was exposed or not though...it was insisted that wire cages where the reason (this rabbit per owner was housed on a solid floor cage covered in straw though as no straw in will cause splay legs because its too slick, even though this is an obvious adult rabbit least 6 lbs by the looks). I've heard of that, seen it with show carriers with rabbits that spazed, but never just normal flooring. I guess there's a first time for every thing, but what errked me was the it is the wire floor that did it no matter what attitude and then the bad wagon on it. Funny with it being housed on a solid floor that a wire floor was why it broke its leg.
Visit the Rabbitry on the web @ http://prismaticrabbitry.wixsite.com/prismatic

Specializing in Mini Rex for showing (tri). Select few Netherland Dwarfs just for fun.
Located near Glenville, West Virginia

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 32,531.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Dood » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:37 pm

I think it could only be an issue if you don't use common sense which in this day and age seems to very uncommon :mrgreen:

Most wire flooring is 1 X 1/2 which should not be an issue for ANY size of meat rabbit kit but a Brittania Petit, Netherland, Polish or even Holland kit *might* be able to get its foot stuck between the wires and/or panic and/or break a leg

I was told by the breeder I got my BPetits from that she had a kit de-glove a front leg and do she only recommended solid flooring for the breed

BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Marinea » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:03 pm

Of all the kits we've raised, we had one somehow get a leg stuck in the floor wire. I assume its fright caused it to panic, making it worse. By the time we discovered it, the kit had a nasty compound fracture, and we put it down. It was a NZ kit, about five weeks old.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Miss M » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:22 pm

As the others have said or implied, this seems to happen only as a freak accident or as a result of using the wrong wire. We have had threads on here about this happening, but they're few and far between.
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby akane » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:29 pm

Actually I'd expect it more out of a cage with slick plastic and nothing but straw. I don't supply ramps in multilevel cages because an animal bouncing about in a solid floored cage is more likely to slip and if doing so on a corner to or from a ramp they can twist a leg. It could happen without a ramp if you have sloped walls or haven't provided a more solid bedding. Straw is slick enough on it's own without putting it straight on a smooth bottom. I'd do thick wood/paper bedding or some who like to litter box train will use rugs and outdoor carpeting in their solid bottom rabbit cages/pens.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 18,991.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Bad Habit » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:59 pm

for what it's worth, I had a kit completely deglove their leg in a freak accident involving a solid bottom cage and the wire top - it was climbing the wire, slipped a leg through, fell, and yeah. It was awful.
Bad Habit Rabbits
Just like a Bad Habit, I can't make myself quit rabbits ;)
Visit My Website
Like Me on Facebook

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,363.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Zass » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:20 am

I had a junior (10 week) manage to get a sprain in a plastic bottomed pet-store-type cage. She leaped upward, must have kicked, and somehow caught her hind leg between the bars. She hung upside down for a few seconds before I freed her. Thankfully, it was just a sprain, but it could have easily been worse.. So far, no injuries from standard (1 X 1/2 floor, 1 X 2 top and side ) wire cages.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 3,500.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Celice » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:03 pm

I've had only one kit get their hind leg stuck in the wire and it was kind of a freak thing since I've never had it happen since and it was the REALLY small wire. I still have no idea how the kit managed to do that. So for the most part I wouldn't worry about it. Things do happen but not often.