Hibiscus?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before but, with so many hardy Hibiscus in my area, how much can I feed my buns?

Having already given my two test buns leaves and flowers for several days I know they are safe enough to eat but any information on their food value would be great!

I guess you learn something new everyday, THANKS. I didn't know rabbits can eat hibiscus. I have hardy hibiscus plants around my house and never thought once I could feed it to the crew. So they can eat the leaves and flowers correct? what about the buds? just figured I'd ask ;)

I would suggest you look on feedipedia.org you can look up the exact on you have and it should have the nutritional info you're looking for

I just checked and feedipedia doesn't have much info on hibiscus. I did find this tidbit on Hibiscus asper....the only comment under "nutritional aspects" is "Well liked by camels." :lol: :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:25 am __________ <br /><br /> Back when I had goats they loved my Rose of Sharon bushes. Completely killed two of them. The third was quite large and although they tried weren't able to completely decimate it. My horses never touched them.

Some of it key constituents include:
Vitamin C, Iron, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Aluminum, Magnesium, Sodium, and Potassium.

Actions include:
Astringent, Balances hormones, Antibacterial, Anti-catarrhal, Anti-inflammatory, Antimicrobial, Antioxidant, Diuretic, Immune Stimulant, Reproductive tonic.

Helpful for prevention of uric acid buildup. Good for the reproduction system. It helps regulate the body's temperature, as well as tone and cool irritated tissue and mucas membranes throughout the digestive tract. Hibiscus also strengthens the immune system and helps fight of colds and infections. Good for the heart, blood pressure and hyper & hypo tension.

Hibiscus sabdariffa is considered safe. Extremely high doses of the extract could be toxic to the liver. Hibiscus should be avoided during pregnancy as there are some reports of it stimulating menstruation.

CanadianWinter":3liggtv2 said:
Some of it key constituents include:
Vitamin C, Iron, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Aluminum, Magnesium, Sodium, and Potassium.

Actions include:
Astringent, Balances hormones, Antibacterial, Anti-catarrhal, Anti-inflammatory, Antimicrobial, Antioxidant, Diuretic, Immune Stimulant, Reproductive tonic.

Helpful for prevention of uric acid buildup. Good for the reproduction system. It helps regulate the body's temperature, as well as tone and cool irritated tissue and mucas membranes throughout the digestive tract. Hibiscus also strengthens the immune system and helps fight of colds and infections. Good for the heart, blood pressure and hyper & hypo tension.

Hibiscus sabdariffa is considered safe. Extremely high doses of the extract could be toxic to the liver. Hibiscus should be avoided during pregnancy as there are some reports of it stimulating menstruation.

That is very interesting information and might help explain one does reaction, or shall we say OVERreaction, to having it in her diet. She lunges at teh flowers and inhales them. And she is just getting over a summer long eye problem.

I love this place, I learn all the time! :D

II Arrows":c93e044w said:
I guess I'm going to secretly snip a few of my wife's hibiscus plants.
If this is the Rose of Sharon that self sows and very aggressive, you might as well just pull up all the young sprouts.

My hibiscus are thick bushes with three inch or so very dark green leaves and flowers that are multi petal balls and are salmon or pink or dark red (different bushes) but have seen pale pink or white or light red and some with single petal flowers instead of the multi petal ones.

Rose of Sharon from memory is a very tall plant?

Latest posts

Back