Register

Herd update for today

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Herd update for today

Post Number:#1  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:16 pm

Well, this morning I went out and checked all the buns. In the main shed, no snot, maybe one or two sneezes and only the two that were already sneezing. No sneezing, snot or anything from the other two. I have put dividers between the cages to keep them from spreading anything to each other and am using fresh gloves for each cage that I feed/clean/pet etc. All the babies look good, growing, eating, trying to escape the boxes.

Cupcake has a little crusty stuff on that one nostril still and she is remaining separated until we figure this out.

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

Site Admin
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,334.00

Re: Herd update for today

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:39 pm

Fingers crossed that the whole thing resolves itself on its own. :clover: :clover: :clover:
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Post Number:#3  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:16 pm

My hubby tells me that when he removed Cupcake, he liberally sprayed the area with 90% alcohol. I am thinking that the fumes/spray irritated the other buns and caused their sneezing, as it seems to be resolving. Cupcake, on the other hand, is now coughing and sounds bad. She is not eating or drinking much...I think she is really sick. Since I removed her before she started coughing and 1) there were a couple of feet of space between her and the other does, 2) there was a plastic divider between her and Sonic, that MAYBE we got her out in time and the others were just reacting to the alcohol fumes.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5,528.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby eco2pia » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:10 pm

fingers crossed for you that that was the case!

BunnyBucks: 475.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Epic » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:45 pm

I personally would cull Cupcake, if she seems to be getting worse, that's just me though.

Good luck!

BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby akane » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:45 pm

I wouldn't overly worry about the other rabbits since they aren't getting worse. When we had some kits with snotty noses my research found that these days nearly all rabbits will be exposed to pastuerella and other respiratory bacteria several times during their life. I think the numbers were 80% were found to be carrying the bacteria already so preventing exposure is really pointless and culling entire herds when some get sick is also pointless. They will all be exposed eventually and they will either show symptoms or they won't. The ones that don't aren't the ones that weren't around sick rabbits or don't have the bacteria. They are the ones with an immune system to handle it despite exposure. Cull the ones that show symptoms and eventually it will never be a problem even when you accidentally bring home a sick rabbit or visit somewhere with sick rabbits.

Personally I have sold rabbits that showed minor symptoms and recovered on their own to be pets but anything that would require meds to recover I'd butcher. Even if you sell them as pets it can become a recurrent problem since like I said they will be exposed throughout their life (everytime someone goes to a show, petstore, feedstores with pets, a friend's house with rabbits, etc..) and they often continue to carry the bacteria so they repeatedly get ill if they don't have a good enough immune system. The ones I sold were stressed by several overlapping events while being exposed to their first real illness and they have never shown symptoms again, according to their current owners, so I don't feel bad selling them as pets and using their parents and siblings for breeding. No older rabbits got sick and we haven't seen it again despite visiting a barn that had a current outbreak and about 4' deep of rabbit poop under the cages. I wanted to burn my shoes when I got home but I wore my good hiking shoes.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
mountainrabbits, OneAcreFarm

Post Number:#7  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks so much for this post! The Cali's are all doing well. :D No more symptoms at all. Cupcake, on the other hand, is not good. :( I will most likely put her down. If there is one good thing about this whole situation, it is that I have learned a valuable lesson....if I don't know where the rabbit came from and have not seen where it was grown, I don't want it!

akane wrote:I wouldn't overly worry about the other rabbits since they aren't getting worse. When we had some kits with snotty noses my research found that these days nearly all rabbits will be exposed to pastuerella and other respiratory bacteria several times during their life. I think the numbers were 80% were found to be carrying the bacteria already so preventing exposure is really pointless and culling entire herds when some get sick is also pointless. They will all be exposed eventually and they will either show symptoms or they won't. The ones that don't aren't the ones that weren't around sick rabbits or don't have the bacteria. They are the ones with an immune system to handle it despite exposure. Cull the ones that show symptoms and eventually it will never be a problem even when you accidentally bring home a sick rabbit or visit somewhere with sick rabbits.

Personally I have sold rabbits that showed minor symptoms and recovered on their own to be pets but anything that would require meds to recover I'd butcher. Even if you sell them as pets it can become a recurrent problem since like I said they will be exposed throughout their life (everytime someone goes to a show, petstore, feedstores with pets, a friend's house with rabbits, etc..) and they often continue to carry the bacteria so they repeatedly get ill if they don't have a good enough immune system. The ones I sold were stressed by several overlapping events while being exposed to their first real illness and they have never shown symptoms again, according to their current owners, so I don't feel bad selling them as pets and using their parents and siblings for breeding. No older rabbits got sick and we haven't seen it again despite visiting a barn that had a current outbreak and about 4' deep of rabbit poop under the cages. I wanted to burn my shoes when I got home but I wore my good hiking shoes.

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#8  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:51 am

Lesson Number Two: Bring in new rabbits as seldom as you can and always isolate them for at least a month. Care for them after your other rabbits to avoid carrying germs from the new rabbit to the others.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

Post Number:#9  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:00 am

MaggieJ wrote:Lesson Number Two: Bring in new rabbits as seldom as you can and always isolate them for at least a month. Care for them after your other rabbits to avoid carrying germs from the new rabbit to the others.

Absolutely! Question....if I bring in a few more from the same place I got my original rabbits, is the procedure still the same?

BunnyBucks: 2,315.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Pickles » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:29 am

Oh... sorry to hear that lil' Cupcake isnt improving. Thats a pity, but sadly, the nature of things.
As far as getting new rabbits from the same location you got cupcake... you may want to reconsider or you might find yurself in this same situation again. On the other hand, if they are properly isolated and then gradually introduced to the herd it could be fine. I wish you the best of luck... what a tough lesson you have had to deal with recently. Best wishes your way that all will be well soon. :)

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#11  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:30 am

It's always a good idea to isolate, but if the two purchases from the same reliable source are close together in time, there is less reason to be concerned.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

Post Number:#12  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:46 am

Pickles wrote:Oh... sorry to hear that lil' Cupcake isnt improving. Thats a pity, but sadly, the nature of things.
As far as getting new rabbits from the same location you got cupcake... you may want to reconsider or you might find yurself in this same situation again. On the other hand, if they are properly isolated and then gradually introduced to the herd it could be fine. I wish you the best of luck... what a tough lesson you have had to deal with recently. Best wishes your way that all will be well soon. :)

Actually I meant the same breeder that I purchased my Cali's from. I have been there, seen the environment, seen the condition of his herd. I will NOT be getting any more animals from the place I got Cupcake. I don't want to go thru this again!

BunnyBucks: 14,860.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby fuzzy9 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:47 pm

How's everybody doing?
Geri

Post Number:#14  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Mon May 02, 2011 7:38 pm

fuzzy9 wrote:How's everybody doing?

Doing good! Even Cupcake seems better, except for a little cough every once in a while. I may just "pet" her out to someone, with disclosure of her symptoms.

BunnyBucks: 14,860.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby fuzzy9 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:50 pm

Woo Hoo! Sounds like things are going well then!!
Geri