Help working out breed and genetics for my bunnies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfyfan

Reaction score
Hello all! I've been a long time lurker and finally registered for an account today. I've learned a lot about my bunnies from rabbit talk and hope to learn a lot more.

So I am raising rabbits for fun, mostly as pets. I acquired 2 new rabbits recently. One doe that was sold to me as a new zealand red + new zealand white mix. However, I am not sure if I was lied to. I haven't weighed her but she's large like my new zealand whites, probably around 10-12lbs. She came from a rabbit farm (meat) so she's not very social and is very hand shy.

The male was told by the seller to be a new zealand / dutch mix. I bought him with his sister, who looks identical to him (well pretty much) but unfortunately she ran away, dug her way out of the fenced play area :(
Personality wise, the male is super super friendly, I love him to pieces. He weighs 4.5lbs

I bred the female to the male, she kindled on May 18th. She had 8, 4 are solid black as far as I can tell, and the other 4 are broken like the father. I'm surprised that none of them are REW.

2nd and 3rd photo is the buck. 1st and 4th photo is the doe.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=WG44aE5lRFgyTTkwdzJ3S21kNTE0SXRta19mcjB3
Can anyone help me working out the genes for the two rabbits? As well as the breeds?
I figured the male must be CCEnen and the female must have chl_ enen since she has the siamese / cali markings. For none of their kits to be pure white, the male must be CC, and for half of their kits to be broken, he must be Enen. Please let me know if my thinking are correct.

The doe is probably a meat hybrid. She could be NZR + NZW but since she has the himi coloration (pointed white), she has something else, probably Californian, mixed in as well.

I don't know about the buck. Looks like he could be just about anything. I don't see any particularity distinguishing characteristics with him.

The white inside the ears and the signs of ticking make me think the doe is the agouti version of himi, A_ch_ rather than aach_. But then some of the kits should be chestnut or broken chestnut...

twr":1q8n0wmf said:
The white inside the ears and the signs of ticking make me think the doe is the agouti version of himi, A_ch_ rather than aach_. But then some of the kits should be chestnut or broken chestnut...

Thanks! You know its funny, the kits are starting to get furs and I went to check on them today. Turns out 3/4 of the "solid blacks" are actually chocolate / brown while the other is black with white on one front paw.

Does this change the gene of the parents?

I will keep you guys updated with photos of kits as they get bigger and crawl out of nest box.

gollyfan":pnmac5zu said:
Turns out 3/4 of the "solid blacks" are actually chocolate / brown while the other is black with white on one front paw. Does this change the gene of the parents?
Maybe/maybe not. I'm going to wait til the kit pics are ready rather than try to guess now.

I see solid and broken chestnut (maybe smutty chinchilla) and solid and broken black. The white footed black and false Charlie (mostly all white) brokens leads me to believe the Vienna gene is in play from the fathers "Dutch" ancestor but it could possibly be the Dutch gene

I agree that the doe is an agouti based himilayan
= Aa B_ ch_ D_ E_ enen VV

and the buck is a broken black Vienna carrier
=. aa B_ CC (or Ccchd if there are chinchilla kits) D_ E_ ENen Vv

They are about 4 weeks old now.

I see 3 (?chestnut color) with white markings on paws and white belly
2 broken black (more white than black) like their daddy
2 mostly white with chestnut colored ears and very little marking on body
1 mostly black with only left front leg being white.

I have taken more photos. What do you guys think at this point? Are the chestnut colored ones and black considered solid colors? then why do they have some white on them? Do you think the dad has some vienna gene in him?

https://goo.gl/photos/E5r1hWRxvcSZrL2g8

I see chestnut, broken chestnut, black with some white and broken black, I don't see the solid white one you mentioned before

I do think the buck is a broken Vienna

Genetically the parents would be

Himalayan doe = Aa B_ ch_ D_ Ee enen VV
Broken black buck = aa B_ CC D_ EE ENen Vv

Back