Help with Poopy bottom.. not sure what to call it

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpmorgens

Reaction score
I have a rabbit that is very healthy, and its poops all seem to be normal, no signs on diarrhea in the cage, but I just noticed that its bottom has is very poopy... thick. All my rabbits have been treated recently for their yearly preventatives... Revolution for mites, etc, Safeguard, for worms and e.cunniculi, etc. So, I am not sure what the poopy bottom (whatever you call it) is? Right now, I am doing the yearly Corrid preventative (cocci), but just started today, so that isn't causing it. Any thoughts? Thanks.

You don't say where you are, but are all those medications really necessary? (Please add your location to your profile, just your state or province if US or Canada, or your country if somewhere else. It is very helpful in answering questions of this sort.)

Perhaps the rabbit was sitting or laying in its poop. The cecal poops can be soft and sticky and may have stuck to its fur. Usually, a rabbit eats them straight from its anus as they are produced, but sometimes they don't eat them all, especially if its diet is richer than necessary.

See if you can find some of the lawn weed plantain. (Plantago major and similar species) It is a very safe rabbit green and is useful in firming up poops and in the treatment of diarrhea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago_major

I recommend this article about rabbit poop:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

I agree with Maggie J.
It also depends on your rabbits fur type- is it an Angora/wooly or short hair? I know angoras tend to get poop stuck in their long pelts.
If it gets too bad, you can give it a, what most people call it, " butt bath". Just rinse it's butt off with some water ( not cold, or hot but warm. cold water can send your rabbit into shock and hot will burn it.) and then dry it off with a towel. just keep an eye on him/her while he dries off. ( and don't wash the whole body as bathing rabbit's is dangerous. only give a butt bath if complete necessary.. I gave my rabbit one recently)

it can also depend if he has had too much treats lately. I know for a fact that if bunnies get too many extra watery veggies or treats, it upsets their stomach causing a difference in their poo.

but what I recommend most is to look up the plant and read the article Maggie J suggested:)
Hope this helps!

have a great day,
OTB

Back