Help with oddball Rex doe...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelleVie

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I had a surprise kit out of one of my recent litters.

Dam = Black (self)
Sire = Blue otter

The above doe has had a number of litters for me and always throws black - however, this is the first litter she has had with this buck, and I have one doe weanling from the litter that is way different from the rest. Her fur looks tipped in brown, and her undercoat is very dark (visually black) - not blue/gray like the other true blacks. I do know that there may be cchl hidden in the lineage. I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with these colors and could help me determine which (if any) she is? I know it's not from the sun.

She does have a few spots of the baby hair missing (presumably from shedding or littermate biting) and the fur that is growing in looks very black.

She looked black when born.

I also think she doesn't look Rex, but she is out of Registered stock with show backgrounds --- so maybe it is some weird genetic defect?

IMG_4687.jpg
IMG_4685.jpg
IMG_4684.jpg
IMG_4681.jpg

Are the other kits in the litter rex coated?

She could be getting ready to molt out her baby coat which could explain the color. Is self chin a possibility at all? Sometimes self chin will cause this kinda "washed out" look.

Yes they are Rex coated but a few have these longer guard hairs -- They are 8 weeks so I think you're right that maybe they're starting to molt. I was also wondering about self chin. I spoke to the breeder of my original stock and without seeing pictures that was what he thought it may be as well?

Do many people have Rex that have funny looking baby coats that molt out and look like normal Rex coats? I'm wondering if it is something that I should cull out of my program or if it really doesn't matter?

I tried to post the same photos to a Facebook group for rabbit colors but deleted it because a lady accused me of lying about them being Rex and chastised me for saying they were...made me feel really crappy... :( I tried to tell her that they absolutely are - and they're from good stock but she wasn't hearing any of it. But if it isn't a good trait I could certainly cull the parents that produce it. <br /><br /> __________ Sun May 21, 2017 7:45 pm __________ <br /><br /> Yes they are Rex coated but a few have these longer guard hairs -- They are 8 weeks so I think you're right that maybe they're starting to molt. I was also wondering about self chin. I spoke to the breeder of my original stock and without seeing pictures that was what he thought it may be as well?

Do many people have Rex that have funny looking baby coats that molt out and look like normal Rex coats? I'm wondering if it is something that I should cull out of my program or if it really doesn't matter?

I tried to post the same photos to a Facebook group for rabbit colors but deleted it because a lady accused me of lying about them being Rex and chastised me for saying they were...made me feel really crappy... :( I tried to tell her that they absolutely are - and they're from good stock but she wasn't hearing any of it. But if it isn't a good trait I could certainly cull the parents that produce it.

Back