Help with my does please :) update She kindled!!!! Pics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blakie83

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
so I just got back into rabbits AGAIN :p .... I have a silver fox doe 6 months... and a buck who was four and a half months old at their time of Breeding... he knew exactly what he was doing and after a couple of dates she let him Mount her and he fell off about 6 times in one day three separateBreedings... I live in ct.... I gave her tons of hay and we are on day 20 and she made some kind of nest with no fur.... yesterday. Although I did not see a hay stache.... she must have put it together during the night..... I can almost guarantee she is pregnant her stomach is way way larger and I'm a Fool at palapting.... she's very aggressive when I come into the cage she runs up to the door and grunts especially when I throw and spinach greens Etc.... do you think it could be a false pregnancy due to the young buck. ??? Or am I going rabbit crazy
Thanks Yall
Luke

-- Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:56 pm --

This Is her cleaning

-- Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:58 pm --

Eating

Attachments

• VZM.IMG_20161114_135059.jpg
    VZM.IMG_20161114_135059.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,963
  • VZM.IMG_20161113_100805.jpg
    VZM.IMG_20161113_100805.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,962
Does will build nests throughout their pregnancies (and sometimes when they're not). For a first time doe I like to destroy nests they build the couple weeks prior to kindling, just to give them practice at building them. I've yet to have a doe miss the nest box at go time when she's had to build six or nine nests. :)

The buck seems a bit young for viable sperm unless he's part or wholly dwarf, but who knows. Be sure to give the doe a nest box within the next week. I know some folks don't put a box in til 3 days prior to kindling to keep the doe from learning to sleep in it or poop in it. I have a tendency to forget when I bred the rabbits, so I put one at the two week mark when they're trying to dig up the cage floor practicing their nesting. Keep the nest box in til day 35 for the doe!!! Even if it is a false pregnancy, I wouldn't want a litter of babies to be lost because of skepticism. Most does won't pull fur until day of kindling, so when you see the fur flying, you know babies are on their way!!

-- Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:19 pm --

Please also put where you are located in your profile--many questions a person may have are usually very specific to where they live and we hate giving vague answers because we don't know if you're in Florida or Alaska.

Thank you so much!!!.. I think hope he's old enough he was 6 lbs... American black buck... ...now I gotta figure out how to put my location in the profile..... my second problem is I just bought a doe from a lady..
.. and she had about 20 rabbits in a pen with her and she said this one is around 6 months old she has a dewlap and everything and she wouldn't let the male breed her I figured they were all females in the pen but then it dawned on me she had me check her sex...... when I put her in with my buck yesterday and today she wouldn't lift and made a squeaky grunt noise... lol now I'm thinking maybe she is bred.....

Instructions for adding location to profile:
1. Choose User Control Panel from the list/menu at the right.
2.Then click on profile and scroll down to the Location field.
3. A little farther down is a field to say Display national flag. This helps make people notice your location more easily.

Sounds like you're going to need two nest boxes!!!!

For the second doe, give her a nest box NOW and leave it with her for 35 days. When in doubt, put a nest box in!! She may be pregnant. Or not. She could deliver tomorrow morning. Or three weeks from now. I'm terrible at palpitating also, so I generally look to see how my does move. Their center of gravity shifts the bigger they get (boy, do I remember that happening to me!!) and many times they'll start producing giant fat poops I call pregnancy poops. They're so big they generally don't fall through the floor wiring until they dehydrate a bit. Unfortunately, as you've just got the does you don't know how they move while maybe not pregnant, but start watching them.

Welcome to RT!!!

Lol I feel like im an amature.... I must have had so many does kindle in my life.... but this time with wth young buck and early best building .... and this new doe that as with 15-20 others.... I'm all turned around... I've had several false pregnancies in the past where they build their Nest at exactly two weeks but I noticed no change in their bellies so I knew they weren't pregnant and I know what you talk about on the way they move and the one that built her best early this time def Is hoisting her self differently....and her tummy is way bigger especially between her back legs. :mrgreen: .. I guess only time will tell... ugh the suspense.... also I want to put in a heat lamp around her delivery date... it's been getting into the 20s here. At night high 50s during day... :evil: :popcorn:

Those temps are just fine for the rabbits; mine usually hang out on top of their boxes during snowstorms! As long as they can get out of the wind and avoid getting wet, they should be fine.

However, when in doubt you can wrap the cages in plastic (cuts the wind) and then layer a blanket over (retains warmth), all held in place with bungee cords (leave one short side open for ventilation). The one rabbit hutch we have stays outside all year and the hutch is wrapped in the really cold part of the year, with a 'window' for Lexi to look out of. She's had babies in February outside without the aid of heatlamps and she really loaded her nest up with lots of fur!!

I have the luxury of moving the rabbits into the garage come winter; that makes it much more fun to care for rabbits in the middle of January! The rabbit that stays outside all year gets hot-ish water supplied to her three times a day during the winter. I call it her tea.

I have them both does in a 5×3 hutch and boarded up everything but a little window....and threw in ton of hay... the floors are half wood half wire but all covered up by hay... I don't mind cleaning up their chosen toilet spot.. lol... I get shocked when I feed them in the am. Thats its warm in there.... compared to the outside.. :)

-- Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:14 am --

So i just tried putting in the second doe with the buck again today...... she would not lift for anything it made this sort of squeaking noise like a noise of distress..... shes got me puzzled <br /><br /> -- Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:29 pm -- <br /><br /> Lol.... now my silver fox doe who made a little hay best no fur has made a huggggge nest over a foot high around and an opening with a tiny tunnel.... it looks like an eagles nest.. I'll have to take a pic... no fur though... still 8 days out...

I will say fur doea not guarantee babies, a doe who has been bred seems to the to think she's pregnant. Virgin does are more likely IMHO to go through all the signs of pregnancy including but not limited to being hateful, going off feed a few days before due date, and making a nest with or without fur. I don't want to bum you out but I wouldn't get my hopes up to high on a 4 month old buc having babies since sexual maturity isn't till appx. 6 months for large breeds like Silver Fox. I've been trying to get a litter from my chocolate SF buc for about 3 months and he is 9 months old now and just had his first litter of 1 kit... But I will wish you good luck and hope yoiu have a better turnout than me ☺

I'm probably the most impatient Scorpio I know. Wait I'm the only one I know! I know the I want figure it out myself all to well. It's how I've ended up with over 25 rabbits that started from 3. $70 later I have 9 rabbits and 7 more cages, 6SF and 2 Lion heads, although one was free. ( I think its funny the one I got for free had a vet check before I got her the little buck didnt and I paid for him and the cage lol)

Lol... that's a lot of rabbits... so today I let the buck roam around the enclose where the girls are.... on the ground... BOTH GIRLS started making squawking noises in their hutches... like get away!!!!!.. I don't know what's going on.... only time will tell...

-- Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:01 am --

Ok the the doe who built her best early, she is due next weekend and I felt her stomach today which is really really around now and I felt movement either I'm hallucinating or she's pregnant.... it's her first time so I'm hoping the early nest building is do to her inexperienced and the weather getting colder... the beat goes on.... :bunnyhop: :popcorn: <br /><br /> -- Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:30 pm -- <br /><br /> ... shes haystaching again this morning... lol... a few days to go.... I'll keep y'all posted... like sand through the hour glass so are the days of our lives.... :popcorn:

Thankyou.... so just today I'm 3 days out so hopefully Tuesday morning I'll have babies but a promising sign today I really felt movement in her stomach like feet kicking against my fingers let's hope I'm not completely delusional haha the other one that I picked up that was with a bunch of rabbits in the same cage won't breed.... I attempted again the other day and the buck fell off but I don't think he hit the bullseye because she wasn't lifting now I'm all mixed up with her....... :popcorn: :evil: :bunnyhop: <br /><br /> -- Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:00 am -- <br /><br /> Ok.... Update..... if she is not pregnant I will eat crow.... :mrgreen: her stomach looks like a basketball and when I place my hand on the sides and underneath I definitely feel movement like hands or arms kicking me.... the only thing that worries me are the cooler nights we've been having here in Connecticut.... Tuesday is her day I think I may be off by a day... so it looks like I'll be keeping Night Watch and watch for her hey mustache once again.... I can't believe she started making that Nest 2 weeks ago and has been finagling with it ever since. She must be neurotic just like me... and lately she likes when I scratch her double chin she puts her head down real low and her front paws under her chin when I scratch her and just stays there.... I hope she's a good Mama and I don't lose any to the cold. I will keep you all updated as The Saga unfolds :popcorn: :roll:

Its not likely what you felt was kits... And I will say again does do balloon up and act pregnant even when they aren't. But good luck.

uparrow.gif~c200

That's the spirit!

:dinner: lol

Latest posts

Back