Help with Holland kit colours?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

providencerabbitry

Reaction score
We just had our first litter of Holland Lops born 12 days ago and I am stumped as to what coat colours we have. Dam is a broken sable point and sire is a BEW. We are just breeding for pets and our own enjoyment, (both parents have the best personalities we have seen so far) but I am also curious to hear others' thoughts on what coat possibilities we could get out of this pairing in the future as well. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• A__16EB (2).jpg
    A__16EB (2).jpg
    136 KB · Views: 1,934
  • A__8586 (2).jpg
    A__8586 (2).jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 1,934
  • A__A751 (2).jpg
    A__A751 (2).jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 1,934
  • A__37B6 (2).jpg
    A__37B6 (2).jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 1,934
A broken orange and a broken chestnut. Both will be Vienna carriers, and possibly Vienna marks. Theres a chance they'll have blue eyes

Thank you. The Vienna gene is possibly the only thing regarding genetics that I have a fair grasp on. :shock: The broken orange has some brown/black on the backs of its ears. Still broken orange or does that make it something else? It has some darker shading throughout the rest of the orange in the coat as well, but unfortunately my camera won't pick that up.

Attachments

• A__236C (2).jpg
    A__236C (2).jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 1,921
providencerabbitry":a03jqi8m said:
Thank you. The Vienna gene is possibly the only thing regarding genetics that I have a fair grasp on. :shock: The broken orange has some brown/black on the backs of its ears. Still broken orange or does that make it something else? It has some darker shading throughout the rest of the orange in the coat as well, but unfortunately my camera won't pick that up.
Chocolate tricolor I think?

exemple of a black torted tricolor http://kimitsukouseki.wixsite.com/bunbun-stories/boulette

Chocolate cause it's more suttle then outright black like on Boulette

It's still orange. That coloring is normal, it's called smut. It shows up on most oranges unless you specifically breed for clean color. Chocolate based oranges have less smut (or rather, the smut is lighter in color, because its chocolate and not black) so this one looks to be a black based orange.

SableSteel":az6r3z5y said:
It's still orange. That coloring is normal, it's called smut. It shows up on most oranges unless you specifically breed for clean color. Chocolate based oranges have less smut (or rather, the smut is lighter in color, because its chocolate and not black) so this one looks to be a black based orange.
SableSteel the color genetic guru! :bow:

Sable,
So the gene that causes tri colored and the gene that causes the smut are two separate things? A kit can have smut but not genetically be tri is what I think I am asking? :)

Yes. Smut is a set of modifiers (so it can have varying levels of smut. Holland lops tend to have heavy smut, while, for example, new zealands have almost no smut) and tricolor is a separate gene. Some rabbits can have both tricolor and smut. Here we can see smut on a tricolor: it's nose is clear orange, so its probably not torted tricolor, but the orange on its ears looked to be tipped with black, like you'd see on a smutty orange. http://www.petfinder.my/photo/pet/489/4 ... 6438-x.jpg

That makes sense, thank you. I have an all black doe that has a reddish tint on her shoulders. She didn't have it when she was younger. Would this be smut or maybe just her black fading?

That's just fading. Red stains on black is called sun bleaching, rust, sunburnt, fading... Any combination of those words lol
Smut is mostly used for non extension colors (orange, cream, red, frosty, sable point, etc, and sometimes with tort too) and Himalayan marked rabbits.

Makes perfect sense. When you explained smut earlier it did not seem what my little black doe has. I do quiet like the fading though. It is a very pretty burgundy color. Do you mind me asking if rufus is the same, it being a modifier?

Latest posts

Back