Help snuffles

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinipela

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure one of my rabbits has snuffles. He has runny eyes and white discharge from his nose. He's sneezing a lot. My question is can I just buy antibiotics online to treat or does he have to go to the vet. I hear once they have it they can get it again.

He'll have to be separated from other rabbits. even if you get rid of the symptoms, he can still carry it and give it to other rabbits (which is why it comes back if they've had it before) so it shouldn't be around other rabbits. You can take it to the vet though, and get a culture to see which antibiotics would be effective. There are also other diseases that can cause the same symptoms as snuffles, like bordatella (spelling?).

Thank you for the information. He is still eating fine and still hoping around. Could he be allergic to something?

Kinipela":12g5n25i said:
Thank you for the information. He is still eating fine and still hoping around. Could he be allergic to something?

There are different strains of Pasteurella and not all of them are lethal. The problems is, some rabbits have more resistance to a certain strain than others. So, a rabbit who may have very few symptoms or even be a nonsymptomatic carrier of one strain, could potentially kill rabbits at a new location because they don't have good resistance to that strain. It's happened to several breeders here on this forum.

It's a difficult subject with lots of variables. My suggestion would be, if this rabbit is a pet, take him to the vet and get a culture done. You'll find out exactly what bacteria he has and how to treat it. Bordella and staph can be treated. Pasteurella? Not so much. Antibiotics will reduce symptoms and can prevent transmission in some cases however, if the antibiotics are ever stopped, then it's quite likely symptoms will return anytime the rabbit is stressed.

If it's pasteurella, then no, the strains are species specific. However, bordetella is the bacteria that causes kennel cough in dogs and I believe cats can be affected. Staph is transferable.

Latest posts

Back