Help-serious health question! GI Stasis or True Bloat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
So I have a Holland Lop kit that would not eat yesterday and I could tell was in extreme pain. He was visably puffed up in the belly and tossing and turning in pain. I gave him some gas drops via eye dropper and then we went to a rabbit show for a good chunk of the day. Came home to find him alive but still in the same state. Gave as much of the baby gas drops as he would take in, and then checked on him this morning. Not much better. Won’t eat, continued with gas drops off and on and he is taking some in. Hadn’t had milk in 2 mornings and and won’t nurse, so tried some KMR this evening just to see if I could get some fluids in him. He took in some and some more baby gas drops. Finally pooped, which I hadn’t seen in a while. Was normal then yellow diarrhea. Hoping maybe this is a good sign his system is getting started again. Tried some more gas drops, and he’s more comfortable than before. No arching or tossing and turning. Either he’s just to the point that he’s almost gone or he’s getting some better and not so uncomfortable. What do you all think? He’s about 2 1/2 weeks old. I read that with true bloat it’s almost always fatal and there isn’t much that can be done but it definitely requires a vet. Also my very experienced friend said they can’t OD on the gas drops. Diarrhea was only once, not ongoing. Please share any similar experiences. This baby is a Chestnut, one of my favorite colors:)

I don't think I've ever seen a kit that age with either bloat or GI stasis. Are they out of the nest box yet? Usually at that age they only nibble at momma's food, but I suppose it is possible that it ate more pellets or other food than it could handle. It sounds like you are doing all you can for it . . . Hope it makes it. :clover: :clover: :clover:

They are being shelved, so no access to mommas food. Eyes aren’t open yet, siblings just opened last couple of days. Idk if it are the wrong way or had a blockage of some kind, glad it at least seems more comfortable now.

It seems to me very odd that its eyes are not open yet. Usually they open at 10-14 days, don't they? I'm wondering if this kit has multiple health problems that haven't been outwardly visible until now. Good to hear it's more comfortable now.

Yes I would agree with that. Mine usually open their eyes between 1 1/2 weeks and 2 1/2 weeks, but they usually aren't right at 2 1/2 weeks. Sometimes I have one that's a couple of days behind its siblings. I dont know, this bunny seemed to be growing right and have all the normal things you would look for going for it. It was still alive this morning, and I continued to feed a couple dropperfulls of gas drops and as much KMR as it would take because it still wouldn't nurse. Its so tough to know if I am just prolonging the inevitable, or if what I am doing could lead to healing. Honestly with how it looked on Sat, I full expected it to pass away before now. And last night when I tried to put it with mom, it acted almost excited and like it wanted to eat. It was rooting for a teat but never really latched on and drank, but that was a lot more active that it had been for a couple of days. Not only is it a cute bunny, but it will be pedigreed and bring in some green. Thats IF i can part with it should it actually survive. Getting pretty attached to the little guy! UPDATE-I just checked their birthday was 1/27, so this past Sat they were a full 2 weeks old, and everyone had eyes open except him. I can tell they are closer to being open than when they are first born and you can tell are closed so tightly.

Thank you Zass! He is still not eating from mom tonight but continues to lap up eye dropper fulls of milk and gas drops. Is this still the best treatment if it is a bacterial overgrowth? Poop is solid, much lighter than normal I think because of the change in diet. Siblings seem fine, and I got to see it’s beautiful eyes tonight! Seems to be more relaxed and not wincing in pain so opened them. Idk how long it can live like it is now, being somewhat better but not eating from mom. Also I have no idea if it’s eating enough to recover fully or if I am just giving it enough to keep living for now. Takes in 2-4 dropperfulls of milk 2-3 times a day, and about the same with the gas drops. I try to alternate them so the milk won’t make it bloat again. <br /><br /> -- Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:07 pm -- <br /><br /> Would benebac be recommended for a bun this age? All I have is the powder, but could put some of that in a dropper or even try to have it lick it off my finger...

great-ill put a little in a syringe and see if it will help. Its been open for a while, hopefully its still good.

Latest posts

Back