Help: poor milker?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
I know I wrote about Curly's ability. Well, I have had to pull T2 out of the cage adn place her in teh box 2/x to nurse. The kits are not getting fed enough and she seems more interested in eating the nestbox fur and her feed (she has plenty of pellets hay and grain.

SO, after feeding, I put two of the larger 7 in with Curly. I pulled two of Curly's and placed them on the wire under her---this seems to cause her to hop into the box and nurse. I then returned her two kits and let her feed. Came back a few minutes later and checked: the two fostered kits were full! Swollen bellies that I haven't seen since birth.

My questions are:
how many more (of 5) can I foster over to curly?
What should I do with T2 (she can obviously breed and is a very good sized bunny 15lbs or so at 9 months) Her ability to raise seems in question---this is her third litter.
1st ate most of box and kits chilled--2 of 7 survived
Second had 7: 2 disappeared first day, two the next. fostered remainder to her sister (successfully) and rebred

I should add that she has maintained condition throughout.

thanks everyone!

some does just don't make good mothers.

If you can replace her and then cull her out, that might be a way you want to go.

Yeah sometimes some does just aren't good mothers, and nothing can change that. Usually if you keep back a doe from one of those litters the chances that doe will be just like her mother are very high.

Back