help please

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeaniebeck

Reaction score
Yesterday i went out to get some fruit and veg from a farm shop and the farmer had in a cat carrier 3 rabbits i was upset to see them in a cramped condition and asked what he was doing with them. Someone had just dropped them off there and asked him to get rid of them. I know very little about rabbits but knowing that if i didnt do something they would prob come to harm i brought them home after being told they are all female. I have for now set up a very large dog crate given them food and drink and my children have of course fallen in love with them. They are very tame and its obvious someone did love them which is why its hard to believe they found themselves in this position. I have tonight after researching online after some concerning behaviour realised 2 are infact males and the poor female has a couple of old bite marks. I then saw the one male doing what rabbits do to her. So my question for u more experienced rabbit owners is what should i do? Will neutering the males stop them harrassing her and can they live together? I am really sorry i have very little experience with rabbits but reading up i can see that they get lonely if kept on there own and these 3 seem very bonded. I am just after some good advice on where to go from here as i am just trying to do the right thing by all 3 of them. Many thanks in advance.

Jeaniebeck, I am moving your post to the Rabbit Care forum where it will get more attention.

This idea that rabbits need company is questionable to say the least. Certainly two bucks to one doe is a bad ratio. I suggest you remove the doe immediately to a separate cage so she is not bothered by the bucks. If she is more than three months old, she is probably already pregnant. The bucks may be okay together since they are used to each other, but in many cases they will fight, even to the death. So you need to be looking for more cages, If you put the doe's cage between the two bucks' cages, all should be good.

Bless your kind heart for taking on these rabbits... and don't hesitate to ask for advice. We want to help you. :)

It will take a while for their hormones to leave their system so the answer is eventually it will help but you should put them each in their own cage to avoid harassment and fighting and possible medical bills.

not only do you remove the doe, but you should give her lots of bedding in case she is pregnant and has babies. No bedding makes it hard to make a nest. So bedding could be things like shredded paper, dryer lint (if you use no fabric sheet), hay, straw, extra pine shavings, put this into a box away from her potty corner.

If you put the doe's cage between the two bucks' cages, all should be good.

Except the doe will likely turn yellow from the peeing contest the bucks will probably get into, trying to claim her, LOL.

I do find it interesting that if she does have a litter, you won't know who the father is. I've wondered about that, if two bucks cover the same doe, does she have kits from the first buck, the second buck, or both bucks?

Bad Habit, she could have kits by both bucks. Some people purposely breed 2 bucks to one doe. Usually a charlie buck, and a solid buck to a solid doe. Any broken kits would be the charlie's and any solids would be the solid buck's kits.

Makes sense, I suppose. I started thinking about it when I brought my second buck home, but don't really want to mess around with that... although it would be awesome to have spotted, solid and BEWs available all in the same litter!

Back