help please first time mum

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elisewatson93

Reaction score
:!:

my first time mum recently gave birth to 4 kits -3 of which have died but shes not nursing the remaining kit. i put her on the mums stomach twice a day to give it a feed but its finding it hard to feed because she didnt pluck any of the fur down there. my question is can i shave the belly to give more access to the teats?

also any other info about fostering would be appreciated as she is not looking after it at all :)

I wouldn't try to shave it. If she recently gave birth, the fur should be loose enough to pull off without too much force. Honestly, I don't think the fur makes much difference whether they can find it or not. They always act like they're searching around for it. I've had both does that pluck everything, and does that pluck next to nothing, and one doesn't have a harder time feeder than the other.

Pluck the fur, just take a pinch of hair n pull along the sides/belly/flanks. Shaving is a very bad idea. Does only feed once or maybe twice if really lucky. They don't do well feeding on their back either, not natural and easy to send kits flying. Hold her over the box. If there's only 1, might be better to bring in and take out early in the morning for a feeding. Consistency is key, if you go out at 8 go out at 8 again next morning etc. If it is weak/deformed...may not make it no matter what.

Did you get them separated before you found the litter or after? If after, you may be expecting another already. Does can get pregnant as soon as kits are out pretty much. Some times, first time litters don't go well...but most times the next goes better.

When I had to hold my doe to feed I sat in the floor with the kits on my lap and I held her over them. I could hear when they were latching and suckling because they always seem to be loud drinkers. Best of luck to your little baby!

Back