Help on drying up the teats please!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Help and ideas please!

I had an unexpected litter of 3 dead kittens.

Do I news to changed anthing in her diet as i am guessing she will have milk? I dont want her getting mastitus so the sooner awnsered the better please :p

Do I need to hold her or catch her different?

I have been advised to giver her a check over, but because I got tols i had 2 bucks and then yesterday to find a nest I do not no really what im looking for. I am guessing tears and cut skin?

Thank you very much. :need-comments: :bunnyhop:

Were you advised to check her out because they were "fighting" or to find out about the milk?

Certain herbs will help her dry up. Garden mint (peppermint, spearmint etc.) is excellent and sage is pretty good as well. I've even heard of people giving them catnip, but my rabbits hated the smell of it.

I was advised to check for marks and cuts when giving birth, because no one saw the poor thing giving birth, the buck was in their which would of tried to kill the kittens.

I gave her a check over this morning amd there are no wounds or redness.

I will give her some peppermint thank you

It's possible that bucks may sometimes kill kits, but probably more frequent that the doe will kill them if they are threatened by a predator or some perceived threat. Some people keep a buck in their colony setup, and never have trouble with him killing kits.

Now, a buck will frequently try to breed a doe as she is giving birth, which could cause problems.

Back