Help me Understand this

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
was at a rabbit place yesterday.

Lady has two rabbits.

1 with crusty eyes.
1 that cannot stand up.

She's says "oh, that ones' just fine" - in reference to the one with crusty eyes. and in regards to the cannot stand up one - "oh, but he's such a sweetie. The vet assistant says he's probably got a neurological disorder". I asked.. did they run tests? "oh no, just looked at it a bit." I said "if it Wry Neck it won't get better on it's own AND it can be treated". She acted like I was an idiot.

WHY on earth would people keep rabbits like that? ... particularly the one that cannot stand up. Leans up against cage mate bunny (which is the one with bad eyes) in order to be balanced. Can't hop, has to be propped up. Why keep it? it's not enjoying life.

I just do not understand that mind set.

it is sad but not all paralysed rabbits have poor life quality ...
jus' saying ...

this situation sounds awful though and I would be upset too

one that cannot stand up. Leans up against cage bunny in order to be balanced
(the one with bad eyes). Can't hop, has to be propped up.
Why keep it? it's not enjoying life.

Ladysown,
that is simply appalling! Those Rabbits should be Humanely put down.
I wonder if that same woman would enjoy living life with a debilitating untreated ailment!
With the one incharge of her treatment saying: Oh they're alright,
they're just so sweet to have around! :explode:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I can't help you understand this, Ladysown, because I don't understand it myself. Sad and sick, sick, sick. It's true that a paralysed rabbit can have a decent lifestyle (if it is due to an injury and the rabbit is not in pain) provided the caregiver is knowledgeable and dedicated, but this woman is obviously neither.

I hope you changed your clothes and shoes and washed well before you took care of your own rabbits. I'm thinking pasteurella for the one and wry neck for the other.

E. CuniCluei, transmitted via urine. Barbie Brown Bunnies has a good write up on it, can also blow eye (fracture the lense, yuck to say the least) in the kits at ~6-12 mo if the doe has a active load.

Latest posts

Back