Help me out here

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajharris

Reaction score
I found a source for rabbits about 15 miles from the house. The lady has 4 checkered giant does she will sell me if I really want them. I have never bred or been around checkered giants. What can y'all tell me about them. She also has some french lops. I know lops are bigger rabbits. The only lop I have ever had was a really poor mama. Are all of them like that? I am looking for some more meat rabbits since my NZ's are crappy at taking when bred and then crappy mamas.

don't know if checkered giants are meat rabbits or if they are a running breed. granted any rabbit can get eaten....

ah... this from wikipedia

Checkered Giants are one of 47 breeds of domestic rabbits recognized by the American Rabbit Breeders Association. Mature Checkered Giant bucks should weigh at least 11 pounds (5.0 kg), and mature does 12 pounds (5.4 kg), but there is no specified maximum weight. The Checkered Giant is outweighed by the Giant Chinchilla and Flemish Giant. The Checkered Giant is considered a show rabbit rather than a meat rabbit. The Checkered Giant is one of only 11 breeds with defined markings. Body type markings differ between European and American Checkered Giants, although they are considered the same breed.

They do get big so there's something to be said for that. :)

Now french lops have often been raised as meat rabbits, they are big.
I've heard a variety of things about them...from being a messy keepers to be nice animals to work with. I think it all depends on the breeder you get them from and your handling practices.

A lot of people around here use checkered does as brood does for meat. Big litters, bigger size. breed it to a flemmie, NZ, or cal buck. The combination of big litters from the dam, and large fryer genetics from the sire, usually makes a good combination.

Thanks Guys. She does not have a pure CG buck, but she does have a Flemish buck and a NZ/CG buck she will sell me. I was thinking about getting both of them. That way, when I save californian kits out of my litters, I will have a non related buck to breed them back to. I am going this weekend to look at the rabbits, and check them out really good before I make any decisions.

In the rabbit world Checkered Giant have the same repuation as Pitbulls do in the Dog world.

Granted not all are mean, but I'd be careful when choosing them. You wouldn't believe how many CG get dq'd at shows for aggression.

I have heard the same thing as Devon, that they are beautiful rabbits but can be very aggressive (ie serious biters). They are pretty big and athletic, so I would keep a close eye on temperament if you are going to look at them just in case.

Best of luck!

Lauren

DevonW":vhsf8vt8 said:
In the rabbit world Checkered Giant have the same repuation as Pitbulls do in the Dog world.

Granted not all are mean, but I'd be careful when choosing them. You wouldn't believe how many CG get dq'd at shows for aggression.

So that means you need to check out the attitude of the breeder first! As in the dog world there will be breeders proud of that "aggression" and breed for it while there will be others that like the look of the breed and don't care for the aggression so don't tolerate it. Cg's are a full arch breed and big boned like Flemmish so may not get the best meat to bone ratio on a carcass.

Devon's Mom Lauren":jp634aak said:
DevonW":jp634aak said:

So that means you need to check out the attitude of the breeder first! As in the dog world there will be breeders proud of that "aggression" and breed for it while there will be others that like the look of the breed and don't care for the aggression so don't tolerate it. Cg's are a full arch breed and big boned like Flemmish so may not get the best meat to bone ratio on a carcass.

Oi, have you REALLY run into this?! I simply can not imagine anyone that would breed 14+ lb rabbits for aggression! What insanity! Pitbulls seem different because they can be trained to be easily handled by their owners but still "game" on other dogs. (For the record, dog fighting disgusts me.)

Anyway, I don't see rabbits being quite so cooperative.

To the OP, however, I have heard the same thing about Checkered Giants and concur to be very careful when purchasing them. Perhaps arrive a few minutes early, and make sure you see the rabbits in the cage and see the owner remove them from it as cage aggression can be one of the first areas bad attitudes reveal themselves, in my experience.

At one convention I went to there was a Checkered breeder boasting about the aggression in his rabbits, he didn't like "little sissy rabbits"... he handled his own rabbits with welding gloves.

I've also been in a breeders basement, who has one checkered giant for display purposes. If you get a good look at the bloodstains on the cement floor you'd swear someone had been murdered in there. The stains are from a Flemish buck, who got out of his pen and went to visit the chekered doe... the poor buck is missing a couple toes now.

DevonW":2o15iafj said:
At one convention I went to there was a Checkered breeder boasting about the aggression in his rabbits, he didn't like "little sissy rabbits"... he handled his own rabbits with welding gloves.

I've also been in a breeders basement, who has one checkered giant for display purposes. If you get a good look at the bloodstains on the cement floor you'd swear someone had been murdered in there. The stains are from a Flemish buck, who got out of his pen and went to visit the checkered doe... the poor buck is missing a couple toes now.

Any Rabbit which must be handled with Welders Gloves
should be euthanized in my personal opinion.
I would not allow a mean aggressive and nasty rabbit
any cage space in my Rabbitry. Of course others may feel differently.
This is only my opinion.
Ottersatin. :twisted:

Miss M":2cfs8pfv said:
It's reprehensible to breed rabbits intentionally to be aggressive. :furious:

I agree, I don't think any animal should be bred to be aggressive, but no matter what type of animal you raise there are always going to be people with the "I'm tough because I have mean animals" personality. AKA the people who shouldn't raise animals.

Latest posts

Back