Help me figure out litter?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy

Reaction score
I wasn't planning on keeping Bunny indoors, but that's how it's worked out. And I am greatly in need of litter arrangements. At first I thought the tray beneath the cage would be sufficient, but she actually manages to get the urine dribbling beyond the cage and tray beneath it. :x

Now I've got a bunch of urine to clean up and need to figure out something else.

Would this type of cat litter be okay to use? Apparently it's just clay and vegetable gum, and no bentonite clay which is apparently bad.

This type of litter box looked nice because of the grate keeping them out of the litter directly, but people are saying it's too small for large rabbits and there's even reports of the poo not falling through the grate.

I'll be hunting around for a small plastic container the right size, but in the meantime can anyone recommend good options out there? I'm on a tight budget and wasn't planning for this expense, but need to know what works well.

In my maternity cages I use plastic trays for the poop corner.
They are about 1/2 the size of a school lunch tray.
I found them at a dollar store. $ 1 each :)
I just use a handful of sawdust. This way I can clean the cage
faster. Just pull the tray and dump it in a big tote.
I keep the nest box on the right and the tray on the left.
These 2 items take up about half of the floor space.

Litter I would think, the bunny might want to eat some of it.
Depending on what it is made of, that would NOT be a good thing.
You would be better going to some kind of farm store to buy
supplies. I was checking prices in Walmart the other day and
was really shocked at the prices for pet supplies. Add a few
dollars more and buy the bigger bag at the farm store.

We have a farm store that has those plastic corner poop boxes.
I think they are around $ 8 each.

I also had no plans to bring in bunnies. But this crazy weather has go me creating bunny maternity cage. My big problem is the stink wow. I only had 1 bunny in and i was thankful she was in a bathroom with the fan on. It smelled like fish in there for the days she was in there. Im getting ready to bring in a new bunny and wondering what it is i need? Maybe cat litter idk im not use to house animals.

My dad is a luthier (guitar builder) and a carpenter. I get TONS of wood shavings free. He only uses mahogony and maple so the shavings are non toxic to the rabbits or rats that I have had in the past. I would use a small cat litter pan with the shavings in it. Very absorbent and keeps teh smell down quite a bit.

We tried a few different litters and what we found that really works the best is pelleted horse bedding. We get it from Tractor Supply in a huge bag for $5-6. It works great, absorbs urine and smell and has no odor. And it lasts a long time. We have two litter boxes, one in the cage and one outside of the cage. Our rabbit was supposed to be an outdoor rabbit but we couldn't put him out when he was a baby and well now he's really a pet and could probably never live outside.

I try not to bring them indoors but, I have had to do it. The recycled paper small animal bedding works well. I tried the plastic pellet looking cat litter - it sticks when wet so not good at all for rabbits. Corn cob also works but, that will track a bit. (Used it when I ran out of paper and had to "borrow" some of my parrot's litter.) Dried, cut grass works too, that's free and absorbs well as long as it's changed daily, and is from a chemical free lawn. play sand, or horse bedding pellets, even dog litter works.

My Stepdaughter uses one of those indoor dog yards for her rabbits (artificial grass over a catch tray that can be easily washed daily, no litter needed at all but those are not cheap.)

I second the pelleted horse bedding, I actually also use it for kitty litter, it is cheap (around $5.40 for 40 pounds) and the pine cuts down on smell. I often use a product called Sweet PDZ under the area where they pee the most and that cuts down on the ammonia smell. Regardless cages need to be cleaned at least once a week, or more depending on cage size.

Our rabbit is a 100% indoor pet. He has been since the day we brought him home, but he's purely a pet, not for breeding, showing, etc... Here is a picture of his pen area. When we are in the room, we let him out in the entire living room so he can really run around but he always returns to the litter box to use it. At night, he is locked in his cage.

dwyty1.jpg

large breed rabbit... get a dishpan or a cat litter box. :) Often can be found at dollar store for... $1 (perhaps $1.50).

I have 4 rabbits inside right now. None are tiny.

Two in a pen in the kitchen (Mucky and Dovetuft), one in my bedroom (Pancake) and one loose bathroom bunny (Umbra).

All the girls are using dollarstore washpans or kittyboxes with straw in them. I do have to change the straw and rinse them out daily(or every other day). I plan on trying the horse bedding too, but I will probably put some straw over that. The poo and pee falls through the non-absorbent straw and it helps keep the rabbit up above the level of it's mess.

I really can't stand seeing wet or urine stained paws.

I put straw on top of the horse bedding. Each night I add more straw to cover up the poop and it lasts for days like that with just adding a small layer of straw.

Zass":9tvnvtqt said:
I have 4 rabbits inside right now. None are tiny.

Two in a pen in the kitchen (Mucky and Dovetuft), one in my bedroom (Pancake) and one loose bathroom bunny (Umbra).

All the girls are using dollarstore washpans or kittyboxes with straw in them. I do have to change the straw and rinse them out daily(or every other day). I plan on trying the horse bedding too, but I will probably put some straw over that. The poo and pee falls through the non-absorbent straw and it helps keep the rabbit up above the level of it's mess.

I really can't stand seeing wet or urine stained paws.

Back