Register

Help - kit with head tilt

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 940.00

Help - kit with head tilt

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ozemba » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:27 pm

I have a two week old kit with severe head tilt and balance issues. Since they are still in the box it can get away with nestling up next to the wall of the box. None of the other litter mates are acting ill so I'm wondering if it's an injury? Maybe falling out of the box? What can I do to help it?

It's been healthy so far, it's not any smaller or skinnier than it's littermates.

It did not present with the head tilt on Tuesday when I was taking pictures.

Do I just keep an eye on it for the time being?

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 754.00

Re: Help - kit with head tilt

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Ferra » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:00 pm

I have a buck I am nursing through a head tilt issue. In his case, one of the complications was being too dizzy to eat.

I imagine that for a kit, where dinner comes hopping on 4 feet rather than sitting in a crock, it could be even harder to be properly fed. I think my vote might be seeing if you can successfully supplement that kit with extra food before they lose body condition (because I feel like keeping weight on a critter is easier than trying to regain lost weight). Maybe just adding some nice oatmeal for the little one might help if s/he can't keep up at mealtime.

I have to say I can't really be more helpful with what else to try; in my case the cause of head tilt seems to be a raging ear infection - my buck is looking happier after a week of antibiotics. But with a young kit, it could be an infection or a congenitial issue or any number of things and I am really not qualified to speculate about what is more likely. Watching and waiting is as good a plan as any. Though if it we're a very critical kit or litter, I would personally presume the cause was infectious just to be safe and might early wean/quarantine/treat the impacted kit as appropriate.

The following user would like to thank Ferra for this post
ozemba

BunnyBucks: 1,474.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:24 pm

I had a kit who had wry neck. She only issues with balance from 2-4 weeks old around 4 weeks she learned how to live with it. She never lost weight and was actually fat. I did cull her at 4 months though, just because she wasn't super freindly and there was no way I would keep or sell her for show or breeding.
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms
Raising quality purebred Americans, Beverens, Dutch, and Palominos for meat, show, and pet.
htpp://www.ozarkansasrabbits.com

The following user would like to thank Ozarkansas for this post
ozemba

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 940.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ozemba » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:24 pm

It's not a critical kit for me, just a broken tort out of a nonpedigreed doe. I really don't want to have to separate it from the litter since they are just two weeks and barely eating solid food... Maybe I can bring it in and offer pellets and some critical care...

-- Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:03 pm --

https://barbibrownsbunnies.com/wryneck/

This had a lot of good info about it and E. cuniculi which I hint this kit got since it is the kit that had the scratch, therefore a stressed immune system on top of the stress of being put outside after being shelved full time for the first week.

-- Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:24 pm --

Ok. So I want to double check dosage, wabbitwiki lists fenbendazole dosage as 20 mg/kg is this what others have used?

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,436.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby ladysown » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:49 pm

two weeks old with a head tilt? I'd be culling that kit and then I'd be putting mom in a strictly "PET HOME" only situation or culling her as well.

Treatment options I can't advise you on.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/