Help from the Tanning Experts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DumansArk

Reaction score
I have collected many pelts from various critters over the years. Most went to the dogs as toys (I lived in WI where I could get nice fluffy stuff for cheap)

(A subject for another day: Some tanning methods involve chemicals that aren't necessarily safe for dogs to be chewing on, but I didn't know that until a few years ago as I grew up thinking everyone brain tanned like our neighbor did)

Despite my years of collecting, it has only been a recent development for me to work them into crafts. I've been having quite a bit of fun and have enjoyed the (positive) attention from buyers. (Sadly, there are A LOT of people not fond of Real Fur, yeesh)

I rather enjoyed working on coyote (SUCH SWEET JUSTICE) and I've worked opossum and fox but now I am onto a pile of rabbit furs and made this clay-and-rabbit-fur "soft sculpture":
10659158_743515892387533_7655075896710684729_n.jpg

It turned out great but I was only able to use what would have been the rump portion of the rabbit because it seemed to be the only part the tanner focused on. Towards the edges, the flesh was still on in places and when I touched it the pelt just fell away wherever the flesh hadn't been taken off. :/

Is this pretty common for rabbit pelts? I never paid attention this closely before, but now I have a few hides here from various places and all of them have a thinner half to them (the shoulder area) that is very delicate. And some flesh near the edges making some places unusable for sewing on.

A few questions for those that tan:

Older animals would have thicker skins, correct? Even at the shoulder area?
How old is a good age? A year old rabbit, a two year old rabbit?
What is the quickest tanning method? I saw the neat Murphy's Oil Soap Experiment post by Zass and was interested in a tanning method that took less than 24 hours.

I'm not going to call myself an expert at anything, but I've tanned a lot of skins for similar crafts and have gotten lots of feedback from taxidermy students and artists. Basically, my specialty is tanning for artists. :)

Your deer is cute, btw!

These two chemicals will do the job overnight. The first I've used, the second I haven't but intend to. I'm interested in the second because it claims to be water resistant. I believe that they are both brush on tans with the oil already in them. I know for certain that the first one is.
I like that style of tan for rabbit hides because it's quick, a good tan, lasts forever, and leaves the fur non-greasy.

Many of the taxidermy students I worked with mounted rabbit pelts tanned with the quik-n-eze, and really enjoyed how well they rehydrated.

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Tanning ... Kwik-N-Eze
http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Tanning ... s+Kwik-Tan

This is what I use to stabilize my skins. It's not a necessary step for the above mentioned tans but it helps immensely. You'll want some litmus strips to go with it, and a cheap bag of stock salt.
http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Tanning ... aftee+Acid
Flesh left on a hide is just plain lazy. Rabbits are delicate, but it's no excuse to not finish it. Trimming any stiff edges is also a part of finishing.

Pelts from bucks are heavier than pelts from does. And 6 month+ buck should be usable for what you have in mind.

Zass":1zhypnep said:
I'm not going to call myself an expert at anything, but I've tanned a lot of skins for similar crafts and have gotten lots of feedback from taxidermy students and artists. Basically, my specialty is tanning for artists. :)

Neat!!

Your deer is cute, btw!

These two chemicals will do the job overnight. The first I've used, the second I haven't but intend to. I'm interested in the second because it claims to be water resistant. I believe that they are both brush on tans with the oil already in them. I know for certain that the first one is.
I like that style of tan for rabbit hides because it's quick, a good tan, lasts forever, and leaves the fur non-greasy.

Many of the taxidermy students I worked with mounted rabbit pelts tanned with the quik-n-eze, and really enjoyed how well they rehydrated.

This is what I use to stabilize my skins. It's not a necessary step for the above mentioned tans but it helps immensely. You'll want some litmus strips to go with it, and a cheap bag of stock salt.
http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Tanning ... aftee+Acid

Thanks! And This is great. This is exactly what I hoped to find out. Much appreciated, Zass!

Flesh left on a hide is just plain lazy. Rabbits are delicate, but it's no excuse to not finish it. Trimming any stiff edges is also a part of finishing.

Pelts from bucks are heavier than pelts from does. And 6 month+ buck should be usable for what you have in mind.

Very good to know. And how handy. There often seems to be more bucks than does born. THANKS AGAIN!

Latest posts

Back