Help diagnosing problem

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjgrappler

Reaction score
I have a litter of 3 and a hlaf week old rabbits. About a week ago I noticed one of the kits was acting lethargic and not eating even when I placed it on top of mom. It was listless and just laid around. Well when I flipped it over I saw what looked like he had messed himself and gotten all matted up. It also looked like it's genitalia or anus was exposed like there was no fur around it. I figured the baby was not going to make it so I put it down. I noticed another one last night with the same exact problem and I brought it in the house thinking maybe it just sat in it's own mess. It didn't seem as lethargic as the other one so I cleaned up the kit and put it back in with mom. I came out this morning and the kit was dead. Does anyone have any idea what it could be or has anyone experienced this before?

At three and a half weeks, they are likely beginning to eat solid foods in reasonable quantities. It could be weaning enteritis... there is another name for it now, but I can't recall it.

What are you feeding momma? Making grass hay and kitchen oatmeal (Like large flake/old-fashioned Quaker) available to the kits and restricting pellets may help. It is entirely possible that it is some other problem, but in any case of gastric upset, grass hay and oatmeal are excellent.

The leaves of blackberry, raspberry and strawberry are all highly effective in cases like this, as it the lawn weeds plantain and shepherd's purse. All these will firm up the stools without causing constipation. They can be used fresh or dried, so when the season starts you may want to dry some for future use.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago_major
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsella_bursa-pastoris

Maggie,
I believe you are thinking of Mucoid Enteropathy.
You are correct as to the Rolled Oats and Grass-hay.
STOP all treats and Pelleted rabbit feed. Another thought is:
The mothers milk may be causing the problem.
How is the health of the Dam? Are any of the teats swollen and possibly
purple to black in color? There are quite a few things which will
cause youngsters to Die for no apparent reason. You could try
a bit of live culture yogurt or cecotropes from a healthy rabbit
to replace the good flora in the gut.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

That's it! Thanks, Dennis. :)

If the problem is with the mother's milk, it might be best to remove the kits and wean them. I've had good luck with our single kits feeding them on oatmeal moistened with water with a pinch of sugar added. Along with grass hay, of course. My thinking in moistening the oatmeal was that they did not seem to be aware of the water at first and I was afraid of dehydration. Once they were eating I also offered dry oatmeal and water separately and they soon preferred this and I discontinued the mush.

I will have to check mom when I get home tomorrow. It came out of nowwhere both times and I have two other litters that are healthy as can be. The doe looks healthy shes eating fine and seems to be in good condition. It was weird but another thing I noticed is when they kit was on his back he had like a clear gelish liquid come from out his behind, it looked like clear jello.

That's one of the symptoms.

Do read the link I posted. There is a lot of good information there that should help you to deal with this in the best way possible. Hope your other kits are okay! :clover:

Back