HELP! baby got trapped under door!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
:!: My husband did late night rounds last night, checking food and water for the bunnies (I KNEW he was starting to like em! :roll: ) and somehow, one of our new babies (one month) got partially trapped under the door :eek: . It was the little blue tort kit Spooky had. She is a little screammer, screeches about EVERYTHING. Just picking her up ;) will make her scream bloody murder. So hubby was not very surprized when she did, but then she was running wildly into walls and randomly collapsing :cry: . This morning she is still alive, and I checked on her (I found out about this all this morning) Her eyes are glued shut(one partially, the other completely) like a sick kittens would, but not any extra goop or anything. Scott (hubby) said that he didnt think it looked like a leg or back injury, when he saw her last night (he stayed for an hour, isn't that sweet? :) ) I agree that she is running and moving normally, except she will only move if we make her. She wants to stay huddled up in a corner. All her littermates are close to her, and when I went to grab her, Momma came and stood in front. Not threatening or anything, acting like she wanted petting, but I had the DISTINT impression she was trying to protect her kit from me messing with it.

Everyone is very subdued this morning. Normally they are all going crazy when I go to feed them, now the whole litter is very quiet, and supporting the hurt baby.
What should I do for her? and if it was a head injury, will she make it? I am particularily fond of this little rabbit, and she has already found a home for after she weans, so I would be particularily sad and upset if she died or need put down.

Oh, on the sticky eyes, one of her litter mates has had a goopy eye since it opened, but clear/sometimes white, and just enough goop to make the outside funky looking. No one else has been affected, and it was only one eye on the little boy.
Thank you all for any suggestions you may have for me!

let her rest - in fact you may even wan tto confine her - but if she's quiet and comfortable with her siblibngs I'd say let her be
if it was a head injury she may or may not make it - or any other injury in fact but babies are fairly resilent and rest and quiet along with good food do amazing things

I'd wash her eye just with warm water - it may be copletely unrelate to her injury

I agree with Brody. Let her rest... preferably with her family if they are fairly quiet.

The eye sounds to me like a minor infection, what is often called "nest box eye". If one of her littermates has it, not surprising if she does too. Do they still have the nest box? If so, clean it out thoroughly. I'd say remove it, but since you want to avoid changes just now best wait on that.

Black tea or chamomile tea also work very well for sore eyes. It's what I use on kits with nest box eye and in most cases it does a good job. Avoid over cleaning the eyes, though, because that can also cause irritation.

Good luck :clover: with your little one. Hope she's soon back to normal.

Back