HELP!! Baby bird fell out of its nest!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equestrian<3

Reaction score
I heard a lot of commotion coming from some birds outside of the window & I looked out and saw a baby cardinal perched on a bush outside the window. It hardly has any feathers, so it can't fly. The father is hanging close by, but there is nothing he can do. I don't want to go out there because the father is staying very close & I'd rather not be chased down by him or the mom. Does anybody know what to do?? Please help! :cry:

The only thing to do is put him back in the nest, or let him die. They do not survive well by surrogate and contrary to popular belief the birds will not reject the baby due to your smell on it. I would suggest wearing gloves though just for pecks...lol

We put a little bird back in a nest at a camping resort we stopped at and got bombed by the parents... lol It was hilarious.... not for the bird of course, but for us. We got the bird back in the nest, the parents chased us away and then we saw them in their nest with the 3 babies....

I actually walked out of the room to type this post & went back in not 2 minutes later & the baby was gone! I went outside & i couldn't find it, but i did have to chase off a couple of snakes, but i dont think they got it because they were still kinda far away. the parents are still hanging around but i can't find the baby anywhere!

You would know if they got it.... it would look like they ate a golf ball.... But that could be why the parent was freaking out... and you never know... maybe he could fly enough to get back up there? Poor thing. Hopefully he is safe.

If it's perching it is a fledgling and it is normal for them to be out of the nest. They spend time on the ground being fed by the parents while they learn to fly. Keep pets out of the area and leave it alone so the parents can take care of it. All the people who find fledglings and try to help only do more harm and there are dozens of these incidents posted on forums every spring through summer.

Well, I never found the baby. The parents are still flying around the yard calling constantly. One will land one place, call a couple times, then fly off to another spot and do it again. I sat outside for almost 2 hours today and they did that the whole time. :'(

Latest posts

Back