Help! Accidental rabbit litter coming!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The legendary wolf

Reaction score
Hi,

My female rabbit (Truffel) got into my male rabbit (Oreo)'s cage! We found her in there about 2 weeks ago, but I don't know what to do! Can someone help me? :(

If she got in to his cage it is extremely likely she is pregnant. She will be due to have her kits about 31 days after she was with the buck. You should get her a nest box. You can buy a rabbit nest box at Tractor Supply, or there are a lot of DIY ideas on the Internet. You will need to give her the box around 28 days after she was bred. I usally put a layer of pine shavings in the bottom and plenty of hay on the floor and in the box for her to arange as she pleases. Very soon before she kindles she will pull some fur from her belly and put it in the nest. A lot of times I don't see my does pull fur, I just see a pile of moving fur in the nest after they are born. After she kindles you need to check on the babies to make sure there are no dead ones. If she is acting protective of the nest you may have to keep her occupied with a treat and/or remove the nest while you check the babies. After that you will just continue to check on them once a day to make sure they are fed and all are alive. At about 3 weeks old the will be getting out of the nest to eat solid food, and they can go to new homes around 7 or 8 weeks.

Ozarkansas":30rg9avn said:
If she got in to his cage it is extremely likely she is pregnant. She will be due to have her kits about 31 days after she was with the buck. You should get her a nest box. You can buy a rabbit nest box at Tractor Supply, or there are a lot of DIY ideas on the Internet. You will need to give her the box around 28 days after she was bred. I usally put a layer of pine shavings in the bottom and plenty of hay on the floor and in the box for her to arange as she pleases. Very soon before she kindles she will pull some fur from her belly and put it in the nest. A lot of times I don't see my does pull fur, I just see a pile of moving fur in the nest after they are born. After she kindles you need to check on the babies to make sure there are no dead ones. If she is acting protective of the nest you may have to keep her occupied with a treat and/or remove the nest while you check the babies. After that you will just continue to check on them once a day to make sure they are fed and all are alive. At about 3 weeks old the will be getting out of the nest to eat solid food, and they can go to new homes around 7 or 8 weeks.

Unless they were like my last litter and trying to escape the nest after the first week, I gave up fighting with them after the first 2 days. :lol:

I have definitely had litters out at 2 weeks, but in general they wait until 3 weeks. The warmer it is the sooner they come out. <br /><br /> -- Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:20 am -- <br /><br /> As long as thier eyes are open and they can get back in on thier own they are fine.

Rabbits do not stay with their babies like dogs and cats. They only nurse once or twice a day for about 10 minutes. They will often nurse at night or while you're not around so don't be surprised if you never see her in the nestbox. Like was mentioned, you will want to check the babies and make sure they all have full bellies. You may want to read through this thread as it has some pictures of fed and unfed kits so you can get an idea how both those look. fed-vs-unfed-kit-pictures-t3052.html

Latest posts

Back