Help! 3 kits in one nest box...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hismatthew

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My wife and I just set up a new colony situation. We have a concrete pad with 4 little houses in them. They are long narrow boxes with lids to simulate tunnels, only accessible. Well, there are 4 does that were all due together with 4 places to nest. Well the bundles of joy arrived today and it looks like 3 kindled in 1 box and 1 in another. There are 22 kits in the one box. What should we do? Leave them and see what happens? I'm concerned some will not get fed. Thanks for your help!

Other people with colonies have had this happen. Usually the does will feed the kits just fine, not worrying about whose are whose. Because they get three opportunities instead of one, the kits usually do okay. You may want to check them for full, round bellies, but I imagine the does will work it out.

I would just keep an eye on them and if you see any lagging behind move them to the other tunnel where they have less competition. All 3 does should all feed the kits every day but with 22 it's possible some might get shoved to the back or bottom all day by more active kits and miss feeding opportunities. There isn't much else you can do. There's a small chance if you moved some kits and the does could hear them crying that someone might feed them in another location but it would be unpredictable who would start feeding where then or if they'd even bother.

My angoras all insist on kindling in the same tunnel. The does will sort it out, most likely. What I've watched them do is just rotate the feeding schedule. One doe will feed 6am, them 6pm. Doe 2 feeds 10am, 10pm. Doe 3 feeds 2pm and 2am.

The kits all get mixed up...usually it starts as 3 distinct nests, then when a doe comes in to feed, the hungry ones rotate up to the top to get fed...and the full ones stay asleep.

As said above...just keep a close eye on the kits to make sure everyone has full tummies. .. and remember that you get the occasional runt even in a small nest size.

The fact that the does feel comfortable enough to kindle in the same nest tunnel is a good sign that they'll share the mothering duties.

Thanks everyone. We found out there were only two kits! The other one kindled in another box. She was the one who originally built the nest in that box. The does are going in various boxes to nurse the kits. We're keeping a close eye. Should be interesting. Thanks for the quick replies!

So, here's the update. One doe who kindled alone is taking great care of her litter. The does who are sharing the nest box are neglecting them so much that they've climbed out of the boxes and onto the concrete. Any ideas as to how to get the mamas to tend to their babies?

Well several are not very round. Mothers are hopping into everyone else's nests. We held all four does down to let some of the really thin ones nurse. Their pretty bad at it. No wonder they're so small. There is only one new mother amongst the four. And thy have had successful litters so far. This is the first time in a colony setting though. Just not sure if there is anything else I can do about it.

Depends on how much time and trouble you are willing and able to spend on them. That's not a criticism... just saying there is something you could try, but it would be a pain in the neck. If you still have your cages, you could put the does and a reasonable nestbox of kits into traditional cages. Put the smaller, weaker kits with the best mother. If you can put the cages side by side in the colony you could likely reintegrate once the kits have their eyes open and are mobile just by opening the cage doors and then removing the cages once everybunny is out and relaxed.

Back