Hello from North Central Florida.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairWindsFarm

Reaction score
Hey all! I just joined the forum today. I don't have any rabbits yet but my husband and I are planning to raise them for personal use and to sell at local markets/restaurants. We're currently researching breeds and setups. When I was younger my family had a few pet rabbits and we knew people that raised them as a business. While I'm not a compete neophyte, I'd definitely love suggestions on books/websites/threads and any other good meat/fur breeders in Florida. Have a great day all!

Welcome to RabbitTalk, FairWindsFarm! :)
:welcome: :welcomewagon:

I joined this site much the same way you did; well before we had rabbits, but as I was researching how we'd get set up and everything. And I'm glad I did it in that order! Now that we have rabbits, at least I have a vague idea of potential causes when I have to trouble-shoot an issue. And I know more about potential color outcomes in our breeding because of the wonderful folks on this site that have helped explain color genetics to the newbies!

I hope you find this site a wonderful resource, and don't be shy about looking at older posts (although if you have questions, it's probably best to make a new thread, rather than resurrecting an old one :eek:ldgeezer: ). When I was planning our rabbitry set-up, I went digging through almost all the "housing" type threads here!

Since it sounds like you want to sell the rabbit meat more commercially (to restaurants, etc.), make sure you look up any laws and ordinances that your state has in regards to selling raw meat. Some states are very strict, and require things like USDA certification, while others won't bother you unless you sell in excess of some monetary limit.

Another thought, if you're trying to sell the rabbit meat, is to choose a breed that will convert feed to meat most efficiently, so you can butcher at 8 weeks rather than 12 (the less you have to feed them in the long term, the bigger your profit margin). Two breeds that are generally touted for having excellent meat-type are New Zealands and Californians; other breeds can be equally worthwhile if you find a breeder that has the right lines, though.

Best of luck! :)
:good-luck:

Welcome!

Truthfully, I think you already found the best site for all things rabbits. Many others have issues connecting "rabbits" and "meat", so be careful before posting unless you are sure.

I am not sure about Florida law, but you might want to take a close look at requirements, as the USDA might have to be involved.

michaels4gardens":1frd75fu said:
Marian County was Ok with butchering and selling [with some restrictions, and stipulations]

I'm curious about what these are too - I live in Marion county myself. :)

Deer Heart":1ihehqbc said:
michaels4gardens":1ihehqbc said:
Marian County was Ok with butchering and selling [with some restrictions, and stipulations]

I'm curious about what these are too - I live in Marion county myself. :)

I butchered and sold rabbit at the big farmers market in Ocala for $13 each, -with a label that said "not government aproved for human consumption" - when the gustapo came by, and asked to buy a rabbit, the looked at the label, and asked me if they could eat it- I replied "after you buy it ,it is your rabbit, you can do anything you wish-- but-- I am not selling it for human consumption" - they just smiled and walked away.. - but- a man on HW 318 between Orange Springs [where i lived] and Citra, [Near Crones Cradle Conserve] , -- sold rabbits to the public, he explained it all to me- the legality , and his dealings with the county etc. - he had a sign out on the highway...[6 years ago] --I have forgotten just how many were allowed, or how it had to be labeled -- etc,,,
Best of luck-----

Aha, so similar to how raw milk is handled. "Not for human consumption", what buyer does with it after is purely their business.

Latest posts

Back