Register

Heat sterility?

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Male
BunnyBucks: 1,398.00

Heat sterility?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Rabbitdog » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:32 pm

Bred 2 of my NZWs (both still young) last month. It's been 90+ degrees here throughout most of August. One of the does started making an attempt at a nest but never kindled. The other doe dropped 13 but 2 died within 3 days. The other 11 look good.
The doe that successfully mated was bred first. Two days later, I bred the other doe with the same buck. Both does had successfully delivered 2 litters each prior to this.
So, did the heat cause some issues? If so, I guess I would have suspected the first breeding to have been the failure and the 2nd breeding to have been a success but the exact opposite happened. Strange.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Re: Heat sterility?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby alforddm » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:08 am

With the one doe having 13 I doubt it was a heat issue that caused the one not to kindle. Usually heat issues affect a bucks sperm count causing small litters or no litters but if that happens, it will affect all the litters. Sometimes, does just miss and sometimes it's a health issue. So long as there is nothing visibly wrong with her, I'd re-breed. If she continues to miss while the other doe kindles, I'd cull.