heat = sneezing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two sets of growouts in cages next to each other. They were born April 30/May 1. I commented on another thread that they sneezed whenever I filled up their crocks b/c they would stick their noses in the rising water. Now? They are sneezing a LOT, water or no water. No white snot. Slightly damp inside the nostrils. My only other experiences with snuffles was a LOT of white snot - there was no doubt. And as soon as the sneezing started, the snot followed soon after. So here they are, 3 months old, and I am not entirely sure what the deal is. I cut back on the hay, no change. The feed has been the same for months, although I did have to do an abrupt change today so I guess we'll see if that changes anything.

Could it be the heat? It has been disgusting here lately (it was 94% humidity when I went out yesterday morning, temps in the mid-upper 90's, our home weather station thingamabob said 105* at one point today, but that was full sun... thankfully the rabbits are well sheltered under thick trees).

I was going to sell a few b/c I don't yet have the freezer space for all of them, not to mention the 9 other coming up behind them :roll: . I have one guy interested in 3... I definitely don't want to sell him sick rabbits though! Stupid sneezing :evil:

Don't know if it's the heat or what. Just wanted to say that last year when we were building a new barn and didn't have enough room for our grow-outs in our original rabbit shed we put growout cages in a very small room next to the goats. I heard sneezing in there--no snot. I wondered if it was dusty, seemed perhaps warmer than the shed. No losses--everyone lasted until ready for freezer camp. This year all cages are in the new barn and I think it's cooler there than either the shed or the little room. Better air circulation. Haven't heard any sneezing at all. Don't know if that helps but it seems to me that rabbit keepers should always pay attention to sneezing but that it isn't necessarily fatal. Better to create conditions where it isn't happening if possible.
Hope you get a more helpful answer from someone more experienced and figure out what is going on.

This hutch is set differently than all the others. It's got a bit more sun exposure in the late afternoon, and the front/back are facing N/S vs. E/W. There are others in a 3 sided shed facing S, but they have a fan on them for air circulation. Hmmmm....

Back