Haystaching on day 20??? Please Help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
I just went outside and I saw my assumed pregnant doe haystaching, which would be a yay, except......it's only day 20. I don't know if this is normal or not. Does it mean she is having a false pregnancy? Does it mean she IS pregnant? She is also digging like she is making a nest.

Do I put a nestbox in just in case?
I know I am probably overreacting.

Also just realized her cage has a sleeping area that she might be mistaking for a nest box. I am moving her to one without that so she doesn't nest in that , because it is up a ramp, which I was planning on doing soon anyways.

My tan doe was haystaching on day 7 and she is due today so that better not have been a sign of false pregnancy! I'd like to know as well haha!

Lol! I have heard it could be a sign if they pull fur but it's not for sure and i don't know if it's true.

I also have heard about does resorbing kits. What exactly causes it and how much stress does it take? How far along in the pregnancy can they resorb? I am just curious because I have heard about it.

I moved her and she seems to be ok, but I will keep an eye on her. I am disinfecting a nest box in case it's needed.

Olimpia, let me know if the doe kindles!

I always believe my does :) When they start carrying hay I give them a nest box
and just keep putting hay in a can in their cage so they can carry as much as they want.
I often have does making nests as early as 2 weeks.
I have never had an industrious doe make a nest and not have kits.

Hmm I know someone who had a stubborn doe who would reabsorb kits very late in the game. She could feel the babies moving but they never come out and eventually disappear. She did get a litter from the doe eventually but I think that's just one of those things that some individual rabbits are prone to doing more than others..

Day 20 could mean a false or real pregnancy. Sometimes this happens if a person gets their dates off and doesnt realize it too. I didn't see in the posts, but you may have said, did you palpate? I hope it does mean some wigglers are on the way!!!!

Thanks Macksmom98!

I palpated on day 9 and 11. I felt little rounded softish things along her sides, but I am horrible at palpating and I might be wrong. I couldn't feel them on day 10, but could on 11, than couldn't on 12. But, they were not in the place where poop would be, they felt exactly like when I palpated her last litter. I think she is pregnant. She has a largish belly, and she tends to get a baby belly from what I've seen of her first litter. She's exactly like she was when pregnant with her first litter. She is protective of her belly, and eating a TON, which she never does. I increased her food. Before I increased it, I weighed her at two weeks, and she had gained 0.3 pounds, or 100 grams, since before breeding. That was on her standard 1/4 cup of food. She probably has gained more since then but I need to weigh her.

I moved her and she isn't nesting again yet, but I have a nest box ready if she needs it.

I really hope there are some popples on the way!!!! :bunnyhop:

All 3 of my does so far have started haystaching on day 21. The only false pregnancy I had, she started haystaching and pulling fur on like day 12. I would say it's safe to assume she will kindle, but you honestly never know with rabbits.

Back