Hay Questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamplercathy

Reaction score
I know there is a difference it type and cut. But what is prairie/ pasture hay in the world of hay. (EX/ You may but Kellogg's brand cereal but if you are a starving collage student you may buy best choice.) We never think about the hay we feed the goats. :oops: We just feed them the same as we the cattle, large round bales of our field hay. But I don't know if rabbits require a certain kind/cut.

Some mix of grass hay. There are lots of names for various grass mixes. It doesn't matter what kind you use if it is quality hay. Some rabbits may have a preference but most never get a choice and don't seem to notice.

The main thing to keep in mind is,.. Rabbits are much more sensitive to mold / mold toxins, then all other animals I am aware of, so just look it over well, and give it the "sniff test" rabbits do well on most grass hays. [assuming they have a good quality pellet , or some other vitamin / energy rich supplement also]

If you are feeding pellets as well then the hay just needs to be mold free but if you don't feed a commercial rabbit feed then grass hays don't have sufficient protein and an alfalfa (or clover or trefoil or vetch) hay should be fed

Timothy hay can have as much as 17% protein if cut in the "late vegetative stage", but less protein is more common, for example "early bloom" is around 15%- mid bloom about 10%, -- point is-- it varies.
I find feeding a legume / grass mix to my producing rabbits [not Bucks who are getting fat] works best for me, when feeding root crops as the main energy feed.[and not feeding pellets]

I feed a mix of timothy hay (compressed bale from Tractor Supply) and Orchard Grass hay (square bale from a local hay seller). The orchard grass seems to have a lot more of a 'fibrous' aspect to it, but I just mix the two and the bunnies eat what they want.

Mold scares me to death, always has. I used to have horses and I've been paranoid about hay mold most of my life. I've seen it before in horse hay, it was pretty obvious, so I know what it looks/smells like. I get nervous about the hay I have now though, because I know rabbits are so much more sensitive to it than other critters (and horses are pretty sensitive to it). I've noticed a very slight musty smell on occasion, but haven't seen any traces of mold as of yet. I guess all we can do is remain vigilant. Heck, even feeding straight pellets won't protect you from possible mold contamination. It's everywhere!!!!! :x

Dood":1rprsk3h said:
If you are feeding pellets as well then the hay just needs to be mold free but if you don't feed a commercial rabbit feed then grass hays don't have sufficient protein and an alfalfa (or clover or trefoil or vetch) hay should be fed

They will eating pellets as well. We have huge patches of clover all over and was planning on harvesting some to feed them as a treat.

Latest posts

Back