Hay Halp!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lain

Reaction score
Does anyone else have fussy bunnies? Odysseus is becoming very choosey about his timothy hay! I have the stuff he's been on since he was young, the Oxbow...

I have Sunseed from my store, I am trying to see if he likes cause he wont eat the Oxbow. He isnt a fan...

I also have Sweet Meadow Timothy Hay & Herbs. He isnt too fond of it either, he was eating it okay for a bit but not now.

I hate giving him so many choices, and variety of brands, but I hate even more for him to go without any T-Hay at all.

He wont eat any that are in hangy toys, but if its on the floor he likes it, same with his towel tubes filled with hay.

I am just starting to worry, he may be just picky, or playing me to see what more yummy hay choices I give him. What are your thoughts?

Also, just cause he just now did this and I must share: he got into his favorite oat tube and went for a roll! Hahaha poor guy!

Thanks for your time everyone!!

I really hate to ask, but can you change the color of the font in your post? I have a really hard time reading that. The font color is to close to the back ground color.

As far as they hay, I'd pick a brand and stick with it. So long as it smells fresh and like grass I think he will adjust to it if he doesn't have other choices.

Sounds like he just doesn't feel like eating more hay. If you have a good rabbit pellet he will be fine with whatever amount of hay he decides he wants. Pick a good quality hay you can afford and he will adjust.

Sorry alforddm, changed it :) its hard to tell on my mobile screen. Thanks for letting me know! :3

I would like to keep him on Oxbow hay since thats the pellet he is on. He doesnt eat much, I dont expect a 2 pound bun to eat much lol. I keep the bowl stocked and he eats fine.

The breeder had him on old fashioned rolled oat flakes, on his food nightly, I am trying to cut this back a bit... I suppose I should ask if thats okay? She did it to entice him to eat his old food (which seems good but I changed because 25-50# for one tiny bunny seems like most would go to waste). He seems to like his new brand better, if I added anything I was looking at oat groats since they are less processed? I am not sure if I am making the right choice with that.

I picked up a bag of oat grass and orchard grass by oxbow to see about interchanging them a bit, at least he would be on one brand? :)

Thanks for the help!

You can't feed unlimited pellets and oats. They will get very fat. A little oats for a treat is fine. As long as it isn't instant oatmeal I don't know of a form that is a problem. They don't process oats a lot. Mostly they just use various mechanical means to dehull and flatten oats. It makes them easier to eat and digest.

You will have to watch him and reduce pellets if he starts to get too pudgy. If he has all the tasty oxbow pellets he wants to eat that would explain him not eating much hay. Tiny rabbits are hard to tell anyway. I've had some Netherland Dwarf that I would have to periodically just dump their hay and give fresh because they eat so little the bin would look full a week later.

Oh No! I didn't realize, I just put about 1/2 cup in there after a clean and let him go to town until its empty :( I haven't seen him empty it yet and I clean his cage weekly. I will cut it back to 1/8 maybe? He is 2 pounds, well I will check on a baby-scale to be sure that's what he weighs, he is no way over five since he is lighter than my 4 pound cat. Also, I was never sure how processed the oats where, I never really read on them since I don't eat them much just bake with them (or no-bake with them).

I will cut his food back and cut back on oats, maybe just for a special treat like "Hey! I uprooted your whole house... again... but its clean now... have some oats and please forgive me" lol I did that for my rats on their weekly cleaning too- hid special goodies in their cage for them to find <3

thank you for setting me straight on his food! I will get a measuring cup for his bin :bunnyhop:

Back