"Hay Box"

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baefull.wolfbunnies

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have come up with an issue while doing my colony. I have 3 rabbits in it, 2 does and a buck. Other then no kits yet the more urgent issue is They keep detaching the "hay box" that I have fashioned for them. Its a piece of the wire cage making that you zip tie the sections together (the name is escaping my memory at the moment) and cotton twine. I first tried it with embroidery floss just to see if they would use it, they chewed through the floss (which was expected) then I used something akin to butcher twine and they have chewed through that. Short of going to wire I do not know what to do.

I am thinking of using a section of 2X4 gauged wire and stapling it to the plywood in the cage, but one of my does just about wore her teeth out chewing on wire and I don't want her repeating that. I am hesitate to just lay the hay down in the cage because they tend to make berry patties and get the patties stuck to their fur. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I use zip ties successfully. They will try and chew on the nubs sticking out, but that's about it. Could you put some safe chunks of wood or sections of tree branches in to give them something to chew?

I don't know what your set up looks like, but is there anyway to j-clip the box to the wall. Or maybe staple(gun) a wire rack to the box or wall?

003 (400x300) (3).jpg

Daughter's house bun's cage:
016 (600x450).jpg
There are a couple of small zip ties at the top because it didn't line up right. But unless she gets a tiny ladder she shouldn't be able to reach them and they are cut off close to the knot.

All of the racks I've made were from left over wire from making cages.

Hope this helps.

Back