Hay and Pellet Tips

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlelucky

Reaction score
This question is regarding to my mix Dwarf/Dutch rabbit named Lucky. He is 5 years-old and only likes to eat vegetables. I know that 80% of their diet should be hay and is probably the reason why he has had GI stasis several times now. I have tried giving him timothy hay and oat hay but he does not like it at all. He likes to play with it but does not eat it. I tried some tips of placing the hay next to his resting area and placing them into his toys but he just ignores it. I also tried giving him pellets and he refuses to eat them too. I just want to know what should I do about hay problem and what are pellets he might like because I am out of ideas. :?: The pellets and hay that I tried giving him were from a local fed barn. I also have tried giving him the oxbow adult rabbit pellets and doesn't like them either.

I had to put one of my rabbits on a diet. Her pellets became severely limited (she was used to MOUNTAINS at her old place) and her cage got stuffed with straw and hay. When she got hungry enough, she started on the hay. It's not that I discontinued her pellets, but that she got loads of hay. She's lost a lot of weight!!

Don't know if this will help since we don't feed pellets but hay, wheat fodder, roots, and willow (dried this time of year) with lots of fresh forage in the green time. At first we were unsure how much was enough and worried about under or over feeding. This winter we started feeling backs regularly and keeping an eye on the hay feeders. When some cage didn't seem to be eating any hay, we cut back on some of the other feeds until they were eating hay. If all the hay was gone before we got back for the next feeding, we stepped up on some of the other feeds. Seems to work--no sickness nor losses among the growing out kits, good weight on all the ones we're keeping to breed.

First, welcome to RT!

Does Lucky have any teeth issues? If he is only eating veggies, I would be concerned about his teeth not getting worn down enough, which could make it harder for him to eat the hay or pellets. I would start by checking his teeth.

Maybe try some other chewy things? Some apple, mulberry, willow, rose, or blackberry branches. Maybe try putting a teeny bit of molasses mixed in with his pellets- he might try them that way.

I've taken in several pet rabbits who refused to eat hay.

I diluted honey in warm water and lightly spritzed the hay to make it more palatable. One doe even refused that so I used carrot juice instead and she happily started eating her Timothy :)

You will need to replace the hay more often to avoid mold growth or just give it to another bunny to devour :)

Latest posts

Back