Having Trouble Breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnglishSpotRabbit

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m fairly new to the world of rabbit breeding, but I’ve read lots about it and know what I am getting into.

I have two english spots, a buck and a doe. Buck is almost 2 years old, doe is almost 1 year old. Both are very nice natured although the doe can be a little nervous.

My problem is I’ve been trying to breed the two since she was 8 months but with no success. He appears to be very enthusiastic but she is incredibly scared and runs away whenever he is there . I noticed that he seems to be pulling at her fur and I am not sure whether this is normal behaviour or if he’s being aggressive. I tried again today and this time my doe starting biting at him so it’s clear they’re not getting along well at the moment.

I have tried:
-Apple Cider Vinegar (read that it’s supposed to help them get in the mood)
-Black Sunflower Seeds (as above)
-Extra lighting (they have light/daylight from 6am - 8pm)
-Waiting until she is older (she’s 11 months old now, surely that’s old enough?)
-Different setting (his territory, her territory, neutral territory)

They live in a big barn and have a metal grid dividing them so are able to see each other all the time.

I’ve looked all over google and cannot find any answers to my problem. I’m hoping to find some here.

Thank you.

As weird as it seems, some does just do not like some bucks. That might be your problem.

But, you could try forced breeding if you haven't already. Basically, you restrain the doe from the front (I like to put a hand over her eyes to calm her down) and then let the buck mount her. I don't have much experience doing this - I've only had to resort to it once or twice - but someone else might be able to chime in with more information. :)

Put the doe in with the buck, not the buck in with the doe. Or put them both somewhere that neither one claims as their territory.

Frequently, the doe will run from the buck, at least for a little bit. When he does get to her, he will mount and then pull up on her fur over her shoulders. She is supposed to raise up her rear end at that time, although if she doesn't like him or isn't in the mood or a dozen other things, then she won't.

Sometimes I'll put them out in a little round pen so there's no corners for her to back into.

Persistence usually gets does bred.

It is normal for a buck to pull a little fur from a doe's neck or back when he's mounting her.
Fat does are harder to get bred the first time than trim ones, and the older they get, usually the more stubborn they can be about breeding. (and the fatter they get!)

Honestly, the doe being too young to start was highly unlikely, as from my experience, does on the younger side are MUCH easier to get bred the first time, and make better first time mothers than does who are 8 months old or more. (In most breeds, giants excluded.) I couldn't give you an exact age, as like many breeders, I judge the individual rabbit's readiness based on her growth, weight, and whether or not she's showing signs of sexual maturity and desire to breed.

I just had two yearling purchased does who wanted nothing to do with the bucks the first day I put them together.
They hadn't been bred for a while, and for most pellet fed does, non breeding usually means getting fat.

I'm guilty of letting them share a cage with the bucks for a while, as I have big cages, and have had good luck with my chosen breed being chill cohabiters. Some stubborn does like it when you aren't watching.
Obviously, that wouldn't an option at all if a doe displays any aggression at all towards a buck!!

This time it worked, and both does did get bred, but were too fat to produce viable litters.

A week after producing an oversized stillborn kit each, during a warm spell... Both does lifted sky high, were bred within 15 seconds of sharing a pen with a buck. As I'd expected, because warm winter days, and recently lost litters, both seem to trigger does into readyness.
That's not from any book or fact sheet, it's just something I've gleaned from anecdotal evidence and paying attention to the words of more experienced breeders.

Another thing I've gleaned is to expect better results this time around, assuming I can keep some weight off them!!

The point I'm trying to get to is, don't get discouraged, as there's more to this than one might expect! Just keep trying, there is definitely a learning curve to rabbits.

Until you get a good feel for "the right time" for each animal, you just keep trying all the things people suggest till you get it! Be careful with food like boss though, as it can put fat on them, which can be counterproductive.

Thank you all for the responses! I tried again today and to my amazement she actually lifted! I’m very pleased and looking forward to (hopefully) having bunnies on 26th February.

I do have another quick question if anyone would be able to help answer: is there a difference between a first time doe and an experienced doe (pregnancy and raising wise)? Could the first time doe be more problematic during birth, etc? I’ve heard that first time does are likely to eat their kits and I’m hoping this isn’t true..

Thanks again.

First time does have a little bit more issues than experienced does, however... many first time does do a wonderful job of being a mother... and if she does a good job the first time-- she is very likely to be a great mom for the rest of her productive life...

EnglishSpotRabbit":1uqy71ev said:
Thank you all for the responses! I tried again today and to my amazement she actually lifted! I’m very pleased and looking forward to (hopefully) having bunnies on 26th February.

I do have another quick question if anyone would be able to help answer: is there a difference between a first time doe and an experienced doe (pregnancy and raising wise)? Could the first time doe be more problematic during birth, etc? I’ve heard that first time does are likely to eat their kits and I’m hoping this isn’t true..

Thanks again.

The problem I see with a first time doe is that you just don't know how it will go. She may not make a nest or may not kindle in it. So we keep a sharp watch so if she kindles on the wire, we can warm the kits and get them into a nest before they die. Most of our does did build a nest and had the kits in it, but the first time you just don't know if they will. Any doe that used the nest the first time has always used it in subsequent times. And even the ones who kindled on the wire first time 'found' the kits in the nest once we put them there, and kindled in the nest on subsequent pregnancies. The other question for first time mothers is whether they will have milk/feed the kits. In my view, the worst part in raising rabbits is having a doe kindle a healthy litter of newborns and then not feed them. Our does that kindle on the wire get another try even if the litter is lost because we didn't get to it in time. A doe that doesn't feed her kits is culled.

Back