Harlequin markings?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSFAngoras

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you with a bit more experience with the harlequin gene, do you find that the 'correct' halequin markings are more likely to be thrown out of 'correctly' marked parents or is it simply a case of random modifiers that can't be controlled?

I got a Magpie buck that is a pretty far shot from 'correct' markings, and though he is a mutt (Am. Chin x Harl) and isn't for show I'm just wondering how likely it would be to get kits closer to 'correct' markings from him.

For the most parent, marking placement is random.
However, how clean the markings are is definitely controlled by genetics. Clean markings (no brindling) is one of the first things to look for in harlequin breeding stock. The presence of a face split seems to have a *slight* genetic component too

I agree with SableSteel...
The first Harlequin rabbits I was able to find were fairly muddy....
In my experience, if you are willing to work and cull hard.. bringing in one clean marked Rabbit can have a significant effect on your herd....

Also, I have found that as long as you are getting rabbits with the 4 foot split, face split and chest split in your litters, you will eventually get some quality show rabbits.... if your litters start loosing one of those parts.... you are loosing that marking... (Hope that makes sense)

As an example:
If you are bringing in a clean marked rabbit(to clean up markings), and your litters don't ever seem to have a chest split, try and find a clean market rabbit with a good chest split rather than a show marked rabbit.

I tend to get litters that will have all the parts, just on different rabbits... :lol: with the occasional kit that is "great" markings
I am also still trying to clean up my markings and add richness to my colour.

That's what I'm afraid of. The buck I got is pretty muddy, but he has a nice dense coat and a good personality. Since I'm just trying for mutts from him I suppose it won't matter, but I was curious. The only harlequin I've dealt with before came from a steel so I never actually got to see how clean his pattern was or wasn't. Oh well, it's just to see if I am get a magpie Angora. :) It won't matter when the wool is all mixed together anyway.

Latest posts

Back