Hanging buckets?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been meaning to do this for a while, but I have one rabbit that really like to be IN things. I put a nest box in JIC (she didn't lift, but I have had pregnancy happen anyway before so I wanted to be safe) and she thoroughly enjoyed just hanging out in it. When I had her in a hutch with built in nest boxes she spent most of her time lounging in it with her head and front paws out. I took the nest box out since she didn't need it and another doe did and put a bucket in. Sure enough, that's where I usually find her. She's in a hanging wire cage so it will be easy enough to hang one for her, but the hutches don't have anything over head (you can kind of see the top in the picture below). I was thinking I could run two wires from end to end and use those? Or maybe I need to get some 2x2s since there is potential for a lot of weight if they all decided to get in them at the same time. Any other ideas that might work?

Also, how thick/sturdy of buckets do I need? I just put one that came from a rose bush in with the one doe and it's fine for laying on the cage floor, but seems flimsy for hanging.

Here is how we did our hanging buckets in our old setup (before we moved)

nhtyYw0.jpg

crookdbeak13":m62mb8bz said:
Here is how we did our hanging buckets in our old setup (before we moved)

nhtyYw0.jpg
Huh, that is something I would have never thought to do! I want them a little higher than that so the mamas can get away from the babies, but it could still work I think. How did you connect the bucket to the cage... wire? I am picturing holes drilled around the edge and then wiring it to the hutch. Not sure I have enough clearance behind a couple of them due to trees/brush. Definitely something to consider, thanks!

Oh, are those 5 gallon buckets? Or smaller?

They are 5 gallon and my flemish x fit in them just fine and she was 13lbs! The front was attached with zip ties...we never had a problem with any of them chewing on the zip ties. We did drill holes in the bottom so that urine could drain away and not sit in the hay inside the box. You could go higher easily. We couldn't because the way the pen was built and the overhang from the roofing.

Latest posts

Back