hands, gasoline, time...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
When you need to wash greasy parts, or remove gasoline from the mower, try not to leave your hands in the gas for any length of time (or wear chemical gloves, I suppose). I've washed my poor paws now a couple of times, and applied cream, but they still stink of petrol, and STING. Also feel tight. :(

Probably has something to do with all the scratches, too...;)

I"ve worked with gasoline and diesel fuel for 25 years now and I learned a long time ago that it's hard to get the stink out, specially if you spill some on your clothes. Many times I've had to stop on the way home from work to pick up groceries or other stuff and have to walk through the grocery store stinking like diesel or gas. Annoys me to no end!

Your hands feel tight because gasoline acts as a solvent and will take the natural oils from your skin. Keep applying the cream, it will help eventually. Yes, gloves would be a good idea. :D

I've done mechanical work on cars and trucks most of my life and one thing that works really well for getting greasy hands all cleaned up is Tide laundry detergent. Lord help you if you have any cuts on your hands, though!!!

Ann, try wetting your hands and then rubbing them gently with a spoonful of vegetable oil mixed with sugar. (I usually use salt, but not with cuts.) Then wash lightly with dishwashing liquid to remove the excess oil. I do this a lot when my hands are irritated from some substance or other. I've never tried it with gasoline irritation, but I figure it can't hurt, as long as you don't rub too hard.

After working with tomatoes, I rub my hands with baking soda to neutralize the acid, then wash. It seems to help.

If you still have any of the gasoline smell left on your hands after Truckinguy's and Maggie's tips, try rubbing your hands on the bottom of your stainless steel sink (assuming you have one) while the water is running. It may take some creative finger bending to expose all surfaces to the stainless steel. Something about ionizing the residue that is causing the odors. Hey, it's cheap!

They sell soap-shaped bars of stainless steel in kitchen stores and with fish cleaning stations for removing odors from hands. You just rub your hands with it under running water like it's a bar of soap. Your already handy sink requires no extra expense, though!

Other effective multi-odor removers are toothpaste (lather it up really well), tomato juice, lemon juice, and Noxzema.

I was going to suggest vegetable oil but MaggieJ beat me to it. I've used olive oil and corn oil to dilute the gasoline on my hands so it comes off much easier. Meat-based fats work too. It also works if you get oil-based paint on your hands. Once one of the kids leaned his hands on a chair outside that had just been painted with an oil based paint. He tried and tried to wash it off with soap before asking for help. I reached into the drippings can under the barbecue grill (eew) and took a tiny smear of grease drippings and rubbed it in thoroughly. It cut the grease enough that he was able to get his hands clean with just a quick soap and rinse.

I work at a Marina pumping gas for boats and on occasion we have someone who doesn't tell us their boat is a very slow fill and bam gasoline everywhere on clothes, on hands, in the water. Luckily we're a green marina and we have this miracle spray that completely degrades the gasoline and diesel so it doesn't harm anything. Which means no stinking of gasoline and no dead fishies.

Latest posts

Back