Register

Hand feeding newborn kits

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 2,538.00

Re: Hand feeding newborn kits

Post Number:#76  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Miss M wrote:There is nothing like coming home and finding what appears to be a crime scene inside your rabbitry. A buck spraying red urine decorates the place like some chainsaw massacre. O.O

Hahaha, right?! One day he had sprayed all over his box and I did a double take, "Are you bleeding? Oh, no... just red pee again."

So Louie has a sore on his leg I noticed yesterday and it doesn't look any worse today so I'm just keeping an eye on it, but was curious if anyone has any suggestions as to helping it heal? Anything topical I would think would get licked off, and thankfully I've got PLENTY of penicillin on hand if it does get infected. Do you think I should give him a (very) small shot as a precaution?
Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 10.05.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 10.05.44 AM.png (1017.63 KiB) Viewed 569 times

Also, some more pictures because they are cute as buttons....

"I'm pretty sure I can jump up there..."
Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 10.07.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 10.07.23 AM.png (706.02 KiB) Viewed 569 times

Oh and everyone gained from 3oz to 5.5oz last week and Louie has overtaken Pips in weight, Pips is now the smallest at 10oz and Lady G. is still gaining the most weight each week and is sitting .6 oz heavier than Della Rose at 13.6 oz.

I think the best idea would be to keep Lady G. instead of Della Rose because not only has Lady G. generally always been the biggest she's also the most docile and laid back. Della Rose is certainly sweet and adorable, but I can tell she's going to have herself a little attitude just like Poker Alice has right now, lol. Not sure if I want TWO diva queens in my meat mutt line but even with the attitudes, they are really sweet does. It's not a bad attitude like Cercei had with the bucks, or like Naevia had with people (y'all never met her, she passed about a year ago) but more like a "I'm a spoiled brat, but I still love you Ma." :lol: I just really like Della Rose's smutty fawn coat, and it's not like she's ever been that far behind in weight, always one of the top two largest kits from the very beginning.

But man is Lady G. going to make someone really happy, I think she got her mother's personality 100% and that's an ideal personality for a doe to have.

Ah. Well. I know I picture spam you guys with these kits but I simply cannot help it! I'm sorry. But yeah, here's some more pictures...

I do not know why but apparently I am super tasty. My skin is downright delicious and my pants are way too addicting for these bunnies to resist chewing on.
Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 1.23.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 1.23.45 PM.png (718.85 KiB) Viewed 564 times

"Where should I take a nap? Lets see... it needs to be in the sun to warm my little belly... AHA! Momma's lap. Puuuurrrrrrrfect." *Cue flop* "Rub my belly too? Excellent."
Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 1.24.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 1.24.01 PM.png (863.94 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Rabbitry ~ ImageImageImage ~ Recipes

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,371.00

Post Number:#77  Unread postby Nymphadora » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:24 am

2CrazyFools wrote:Ah. Well. I know I picture spam you guys with these kits but I simply cannot help it! I'm sorry. But yeah, here's some more pictures...

Never apologize for your wonderful pictures! DH recognizes when I tell him about Alice and Della Rose by now (although he still knows them by "Jeri" and "Twilla"). :P I may have been excitedly giving him updates on your buns because I get so happy every time you post progress... :roll:

2CrazyFools wrote:I do not know why but apparently I am super tasty. My skin is downright delicious and my pants are way too addicting for these bunnies to resist chewing on.
"Where should I take a nap? Lets see... it needs to be in the sun to warm my little belly... AHA! Momma's lap. Puuuurrrrrrrfect." *Cue flop* "Rub my belly too? Excellent."

Cuteness overload!!! :in_love:
:mbounce:

How do you get any work done at home, Crazy? I'd be following these little guys around with a camera all day long... dishes? Who needs 'em. Laundry? Maybe tomorrow... :rotfl:

Site Supporter

Post Number:#78  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:10 pm

Nymphadora wrote:Never apologize for your wonderful pictures! DH recognizes when I tell him about Alice and Della Rose by now (although he still knows them by "Jeri" and "Twilla"). :P I may have been excitedly giving him updates on your buns because I get so happy every time you post progress... :roll:

Girl, I still occasionally call Della Rose by her previous name, though "Della" is pretty close in sound to "Twilla" so she often hears just Della since it's an easy switch. Poker Alice's name has actually been easier! I was never fond of the name Jeri for her and Alice just seemed to slip right in place.

Nymphadora wrote:How do you get any work done at home, Crazy? I'd be following these little guys around with a camera all day long... dishes? Who needs 'em. Laundry? Maybe tomorrow... :rotfl:

I admit, I really, really need to do my laundry :oops: In fact, I should put a load in right now! My husband's clothes I've been staying on top of but my own has just been piling up. I've also got 5 big exams in the next two weeks that I'm trying to study for, plus 3 quizzes, a 5 page summery of Delta functions, Impulse forcing and Convolutions, and an "extra" question in the test center from a test a few months ago.
:explode:

But these little guys make for a very welcomed break. Here's a video to show you what I mean. Spring weather, birds chirping, and bunnies in my lap. Life is good, even if these next few weeks are heavy. There are silver linings everywhere. :in_love:

You can briefly see Louie's sore on his leg at about 1:07 into the video. Poor Della still has the clumpiest coat! Though it is lessening and they are slowly falling out. Today the other three are almost clump free! I'm almost thinking about taking a small set of scissors (swiss army knife) to her and clipping out the clumps... naturally when she's asleep on my lap, lol. I love how they are really finally starting to look like little rabbits and not just like greasy hairballs :lol:

1 year of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#79  Unread postby Nymphadora » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:21 am

2CrazyFools wrote:I was never fond of the name Jeri for her and Alice just seemed to slip right in place.

I really like Alice, it's a cute name. And Poker Alice just fits her. ;)

2CrazyFools wrote: Spring weather, birds chirping, and bunnies in my lap. Life is good, even if these next few weeks are heavy. There are silver linings everywhere. :in_love:

So jealous!!! :bow:
Everyone looks so happy and sleepy in the video... so sweet! :oops:

I don't envy you the :explanation: though. Best of luck with the quizzes and assignments! :good-luck:

Site Supporter

Post Number:#80  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Wed May 03, 2017 8:27 pm

So a few days ago Della Rose ripped her poor little tummy skin open, it was really a decent gash (about dime sized) but she didn't seem to notice poor dear. Racing around like loon.. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I figured out that she ripped it open on the hay feeder that was sitting in their cage, she must have climbed up about a foot and a half on the wall and then gotten snagged when she leapt back down. I removed it promptly. So I put some Neosporin on it and then tried not to worry that night and decided if she even hinted at being sickly the next day I would give her a shot of Penicillin, I'm not messing around with infection and my little baby girl. Luckily when I woke it was completely closed up with a scab bordering where the flap detached and she was 100% the same as usual. Now it's been a few days and no change in her energy. Also, Louie's little sore on his leg is just about gone, I think the scab is still hanging on by some fur but that's it.

So now that the bad news / good news is out of the way... look at Pippin!!! He no longer looks sad and pitiful! Pips is growing up on me and really looks like young buck :oops: Lady G. is still 1/3rd larger than him though, lol. 7 weeks old already! I'm not ready for them to leave me guys.... what if it's not a great home? :cry:
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.13.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.13.45 PM.png (679.34 KiB) Viewed 509 times

Oh, and of course photogenic Della Rose, always eager for the paparazzi. It's funny, she's the kit that loves the camera the most, and now she's the ONLY ONE that still has clumps in her fur. The rest of the kits are clean and fuzzy and do they want their pictures taken? "Go away clicky box."
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.14.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.14.12 PM.png (647.38 KiB) Viewed 509 times

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.22.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.22.39 PM.png (780.12 KiB) Viewed 509 times
Last edited by 2CrazyFools on Thu May 04, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,648.00

Post Number:#81  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed May 03, 2017 8:41 pm

Wow, they're looking great!

I love Della Rose's expressions in particular and those dark whiskers against the blonde fur are just so cute. What brand of mascara does she use? :lol:

Site Supporter

Post Number:#82  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Sat May 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks Maggie!

I really like how her whiskers are two-toned, 2/3rds of them are dark and the last 1/3rd at the ends are white (or cream, hard to tell)! Reminds me of my dog who has 4 different bands of color in her guard hairs. I asked her about the mascara and she said she just rubs her face in dirt... so... :P

Weights are in, and poor Pips is still lagging behind the rest with his gains, but that's not for lack of trying! All the kits are about the size of normal 4 week old meat mutts.

7 weeks old (05/04)
Della Rose – 1-lb 2oz (+5oz)
Louie – 15oz (+4.7oz)
Pipsqueak – 13.4oz (+3.4 oz)
Lady Gaston – 1-lb 2.8oz (+5.2oz)

Compared to their previous weighing at 6 weeks old (04/27)
Della Rose – 13oz (+4.5oz)
Louie – 10.3oz (+3.6oz)
Pipsqueak – 10oz (+3 oz)
Lady Gaston – 13.6oz (+4.5oz)

This morning I mixed about a 1:7 ratio of water to formula for their breakfast, tomorrow will be a 2:7 and so on until they lose interest in their morning water... lol. Also, tonight or tomorrow night they will be staying outside all the time and I WILL resist bringing them inside. *Le Sigh

-- Sat May 13, 2017 7:23 pm --

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 7.17.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 7.17.00 PM.png (683.66 KiB) Viewed 483 times

Louie, sweet sweet Louie, went to his new home today. A lady who actually has a rabbit room set up in her house and has had rabbits for the last 15+ years. She recently lost two rabbits in the last year at the ages of 14 and 15. I feel Louie will be in good hands.

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.55.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.55.02 PM.png (825.64 KiB) Viewed 483 times

Laid back Lady G. went to a very sweet home which had a small child who is enamored with her. This caused me concern at first but after seeing how he interacted with her and with the promise that he would never be allowed to play with her unsupervised, I felt much better. Very gentle little boy and a very attentive mother.

I made sure they all knew that I would take them back in a heartbeat if for any reason it didn't work out.

I'm going to miss these cute little guys!

1 year of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#83  Unread postby Nymphadora » Mon May 15, 2017 1:16 pm

2CrazyFools wrote:I'm going to miss these cute little guys!

And we will miss the updates...
But I'm so glad Louie and Lady G went to such great-sounding homes! May they be loved and cared for forever. :oops:

The following user would like to thank Nymphadora for this post
2CrazyFools

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#84  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon May 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Nymphadora is right . . . We sure will miss the updates. This thread has been a bunny soap opera from its dramatic beginning through to to its happy pet home endings.

How's Little Pips doing? :lilbunny:

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
Nymphadora

Site Supporter

Post Number:#85  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Mon May 22, 2017 3:25 pm

Well I still have Della Rose, so we may occasionally get updates here about her. (Basically an update on what her final weight ends up being, as I feel it is pertinent information for this thread when formula fed since birth) But as of right now she's just a spaz who is at least double Pips size, not that she's ever been a small kit out of the bunch, but she's really enjoying her food!
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 8.23.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 8.23.37 PM.png (902.13 KiB) Viewed 453 times

I'll post an update on Pips in his thread.

-- Mon May 22, 2017 3:24 pm --

So Lady G came back to us a few days ago, apparently their puppy didn't get along with the rabbit... so now I'm adding that to the questionnaire, "Are you expecting this rabbit to get along with the family dog? Because that's unlikely..." I offered to purchase her back at half the purchase price but they refused, apparently the family had fallen in love with her and was very upset they couldn't keep her so they declined payment.

Lady G was 3oz heavier than Della when she came home so she certainly wasn't off her feed! Within a few minutes back home she was back to her happy docile self, sweet thing. But since she left the rabbitry she is now in quarantine and under observation for this next month. Better safe than sorry...

And now I'm thinking about keeping her instead of Della. :roll: Multiple reasons really, the 1st of which is that Lady's just about always been the largest kit even from the beginning with Della only overtaking her once at 9 days old, she's certainly a surviver even on formula. The 2nd reason is that she's extremely docile just like her mother was, and always has been from the start. Don't get me wrong; Della is sweet, but she's definitely going to be a diva like Alice... not sure I want two queen bees in my meat mutts. The 3rd reason is purely cosmetic, Lady is starting to appear similar in coat to a silver fox! I love silver fox rabbit coats, and this heavy tipping that is going on in Lady's coat is really growing on me.

I'm not sure what's going on with her ears but I think it's probably the combination of the heavy leather ears her pops has and the large ears her momma had which frankly, I find to be adorable. They were trending to the side when she left for her new home and now they really seem to be lagging downwards. Other than injury, what could cause this? Anything she may be lacking in diet? (Manna-Pro, Pro formula pellets + various greens) I don't think she was mishandled as she's not even remotely sensitive to me messing with her ears.

DSC01099.jpg
DSC01099.jpg (296.02 KiB) Viewed 439 times

DSC01108.jpg
DSC01108.jpg (272.64 KiB) Viewed 439 times

If I do end up keeping her instead she would be re-named "Southern Belle." I figure I've got all month to decide who I'm keeping.

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,330.00

Post Number:#86  Unread postby shazza » Wed May 24, 2017 11:21 am

does she have silver fox in her? it almost looks like a gray fever coat but in my experience silver rabbits do not photograph well lol. my champagne cross always look like a badly compressed gif in photos for some reason.

as for the ears it just looks like summer ear. it happens when it's hot and the kits' ears are growing pretty fast. the heat makes the cartilage weaker so the ears will flop or fold over for a while until it get stronger. they almost always stand back up as the kit gets older. pretty much all of my growouts have summer ear right now because it's just ridiculously hot here in houston :p
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

Site Supporter

Post Number:#87  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Well now it's just one ear flopped, lol, weirdo. Thanks for the information about the heat effecting the cartiledge, though it's been really mild this last week. Maybe the stress from travel helped?

No, she doesn't have any silver fox in her. Pops is 50/50 NZ and Texas A&M, and momma was pure American. Unless there's something floating around in the Texas A&M mix she shouldn't have any Silver Fox genes.

-- Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:59 am --

Southern Belle came out of quarantine today! :D Della Rose seems to be very grateful to have her sister back, lol. Obviously they will not share a cage as I don't want to risk any territorial issues surfacing (last thing I need is to come out an find bloody does...) but it's nice that I can let them both down for some exercise time together. Little sweethearts. Southern Belle is reminding me SO STRONGLY of her mother it's ridiculous,
the way she acts, how she loves sleeping inside her box, and even her shape and head. That girl is like a carbon copy of her mother with a different coat color, which, by the way, you can really see the silvering on her fur now.

I have decided to keep them both for a few litters and see if either of them carry the recessive astrex genes from their poppa. I feel it's unlikely but....

Della Rose is 4lbs 2oz and Southern Belle is 4lbs 3oz at 3 months 2 days old. So not bad with weights! :D

DSC03806.jpg
DSC03806.jpg (344.03 KiB) Viewed 383 times
DSC03780.jpg
DSC03780.jpg (284.89 KiB) Viewed 383 times
DSC03583.jpg
DSC03583.jpg (529.43 KiB) Viewed 383 times
DSC03840.jpg
DSC03840.jpg (465.8 KiB) Viewed 383 times
DSC03829.jpg
DSC03829.jpg (390.65 KiB) Viewed 383 times

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#88  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Such nice bunnies! :D And they obviously enjoy each other's company!

Thanks for the new pictures!

1 year of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#89  Unread postby Nymphadora » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:04 pm

That delicate lacing on Della Rose's ears is so pretty! And they both seem so happy to be in each other's company. :oops:

Site Supporter

Post Number:#90  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:43 pm

Just another little update, from the age 2 months to 3 months the girls gained 3 pounds each. Now from the age of 3 months to 4 months old they gained about another 3 pounds.

Southern Belle is at 7lbs 2.75oz and Della Rose is at 6lbs 12.35oz.
I'd been experimenting with giving Southern Belle Calf Manna supplements each day and her growth has reflected that compared to Della, especially when they were neck and neck at 4 pounds last month.

Anyhow, they seem to be racing to hit adult weight without much, if any stalling from their earlier malnutrition. :D I have no doubt they will be as large as their mother. I purchased a pure Texas A&M Composite buck to be their beau (last picture) and I think he compliments them very well and I'm looking forward to seeing their offspring. I'm planning on breeding them in the beginning of September when it cools off.

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 2.36.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 2.36.29 PM.png (947.34 KiB) Viewed 305 times

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 2.36.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 2.36.45 PM.png (878.74 KiB) Viewed 305 times

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 2.37.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 2.37.55 PM.png (682.86 KiB) Viewed 305 times

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 2.38.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 2.38.37 PM.png (897.71 KiB) Viewed 305 times

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 2.42.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 2.42.38 PM.png (783.15 KiB) Viewed 305 times

PreviousNext