Had to put Reggie down today

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Our older dog, Reggie, has been a GREAT dog, and lived a good, healthy, long life. No signs of age or pain..and then a few weeks ago she started to lose some weight, and having bladder problems. bloodwork came back with elevated various things, and low OTHER various things. Antibiotics for an infection cleared up some things, but Last week, she simply stopped eating. She spent more and more time off alone under the porch, or wandering. Then she stopped wandering and just slept. No interest in anything. Rarely even seemed to hear me anymore.

We were forcing food, but she was just going downhill too fast, so while she was still able to enjoy a car ride we took her out to the farm, tried to get her to wander around a bit, and then put her down. Quickly. Calmly. She's buried up on the hill and I'll transplant one of the Maples there this Fall.

Today sucks.

((((HUGS)))

my empathy hardly helps - I know but Reggie was lucky to have you - as you were lucky to have her ...

I'm glad she's at the farm

hang in there

was thinking about you today Ann

looked this up - it's sappy (well bits of it are) but it also comforts me when I'm really down and out - loss is something I have too much experience with (as do you) - I think what speaks to me in this is that we always carry a part of what we love with us - as they do us ..
there are actually a bunch of versions

but here is one:

Do not stand at my grave and weep..
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awake in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft star-shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry..
I am not there. I did not die.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:44 pm __________<br /><br />or the Native Amercian Prayer Version

I give you this one thought to keep -
I am with you still - I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awake in the morning's hush
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not think of me as gone -
I am with you still - in each new dawn.

it sounds like Reggie was well loved, and well shown off, and that is the best anyone can do! Sorry about your loss Ann

Great poem Brody.

grieving is an important part of the process

we lost (PTS) Hank the day before we left for newfoundland to see our godson ... we didn't tell them - had a lovely weekend and came back to SLAM wall of grief

grief is unpredicatable and catches you in weird ways and weird times - but I truly believe it is part of the process of creating memories and holding the things we should keep dear and close

hang in there (((hugs)))

As long as you hold Reggie in your heart, she will be by your side. She may even come visit when you least expect it... Hugs and tears of understanding I send your way.

I'm sorry Ann- they sure do find a place in our hearts. We lost our 18 year old dog this past year and it broke my heart even though I knew it was time like you did. *hug*

Take care,

Lauren

Thanks, guys. It's odd, but I was missing her yesterday pretty badly again. It took 3 months for the daily misty eyes and sadness to turn into the good memory smile days. Then yesterday I got all blue again. Then I read your posts this morning and smiled again :) Thanks.

We're looking for a puppy again. Our other dog, Sadie the Llewellin Setter, is now over the grieving part (she had been with reggie for 6 years since a puppy) but she really needs a companion dog. (the rabbits don't quite cut it! ;) ) If anyone knows of a puppy who will grow into a large sized dog...let me know! Mutts preferred :)

springer spaniel mix - fabulous fabulous puppy - I'm killing myself not to keep her myself ... 11 weeks old and wonderful with dogs, cats people
she won't be HUGE but she is already mighty!!

oh golly, Brody. er...Pongo...er..whoever you are today :) I wonder what the import problems are with dogs? Rabbits I know they don't care about, but dogs are probably different :( I know we had to have super vet checks and papers when we took the dogs into Canada a couple years ago.<br /><br />__________ Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:54 am __________<br /><br />OMG! Andrea, is that newest photo in your album the puppy you're talking about? she's ADORABLE! what a sweetie! oh dear...I can see how you'd get attached to that one. Where did you get her? what's her story? (they all have stories :) )

that is her indeed ...

she was abandoned in a box with her two siblings at a shelter - they had them for three days then the puppies got sick - they thought parvo - panicked and I took the two survivors after four days of treatment - male was bigger and bounced back - she was tiny but fiesty - quite ill though so we did a work up - turns out she had coccidia - treated both siblings and she bounced right back

she's amazing - fetches, sits, downs, clean in house... she's phenomenal honestly .. I adore her ... I am screwed ...

Back