Had a COOL idea (I think!)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
With the current heat wave, we are all suffering... and worrying about our rabbits and other critters. They make cooling pads for cats and dogs (kind of expensive) but they also sell the polymer crystals to use in the soil to retain water for garden beds and potted plants.

I'm ordering some to fill a pad for Marilla :benice: but I am thinking that this might also work for the rabbits. The crystal-filled pads provide cooling for a long time when well-soaked with water and the cloth cover does not feel wet to the touch. The crystals are non-toxic but one would need to provide some kind of protection since rabbits do tend to chew on things. Maybe use heavy-duty canvas for the cover or cover it in hardware cloth... or perhaps fasten it to the outside of the cage for the bunnies to lean against. Just tossing ideas around here in the hope that we can make our critters a bit more comfy on these hot days.

Just go to the Pet Supply category on eBay and search for cooling pads. But I just bought 8 oz. of the polymer crystals for $12, shipping included. The seller was goldstein3967 in Cleveland and I just seached for polymer crystals in the House and Garden category.

I will make Marilla's pad first and if I have some left over (and I should, because those little crystals really swell up) I can experiment. I was thinking strong window screen would keep the bunnies from chewing and would be pretty easy to "sew" together with wire.

Cool! Thanks! I bet the window screen will work well. That is what I put on the bottom of my nest boxes and it was strong enough. It just stunk trying to get the hay and hair out when I went to clean it.

Unless the bunnies are very clean in their habits, these cooling pads could get pretty gross. At least with screening, it should be fine enough to contain the polymer crystals even when dry... and it could be flushed with water to clean it. The crystals cool by evaporation, so the container does have to breathe.

Back