Guinea Pig scab

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prisma

Reaction score
So I finally got my pair of teddies, a red boar and black sow. Boar is in great shape and friendly guy. Sow's in good shape too, but from owner before this one she was in a wet cage that caused (close as I can think to it in rabbit terms is urine scald). It has healed up for the most part, but still scabby and touchy for her. Is there any thing I can put on her to help her out? She came to them pregnant and before they knew it she was pregnant again (accident as they were letting her heal before breeding again). Good appetites and clear/clean otherwise. Will need a piggy ear cleaning but nothing unusual. I know pictures will help, but letting her settle in a bit more before I poke at her more. She's had a several hour trip today and VERY pregnant and don't wish to make her any more uncomfortable than she already is :cry: .

My GP experience is limited to Americans and Abbys if that makes a difference, and they've always been non issue health wise. I have some yet, but have downsized with them as I really really wanted teddies.

you are sure it's urine scald and not mites?

If it is truly urine scald and you are able to keep her clean and dry, it should heal on it own (if the healing has already been well started).

There's no white dander and she's not scratching. She does have a bald spot on her back I didn't notice when I first got her as well, but again no white dander or dust just a perfect bald spot. Hmm IF it is mites, how is that treated? Same way as rabbits with ivomec at base of skull or ?

I treat for mites using horse wormer paste, just a bit on the end of a popsicle stick and pop it inside their cheek. You don't always get dust, sometimes it's a bald patch, sometimes it's a scabby area. the wet area is perfect stressor to bring them out.

i know nothing about safeguard, I've always used ivermectin horse wormer because it's cheap and does the job nicely

It has to be only ivermectin as the ingredient. Safeguard manufacturers a lot of products but their main horse one is fenbendazole. The paste is the cheapest way to go or if you buy a bottle of 1% injectible you can put a drop behind each ear with a syringe that you remove the needle off of. It's easier but the bottles will be $20-$30+ instead of $10 and possibly less so if you don't keep a lot of animals with a high possible need for it in the future it's a bit expensive. You can also use plain advantage or revolution but the dose has to be calculated and measured out by small syringe.

So it's taken me a little while to get pictures taken, but finally did. This is what it looks like. I treated with 1.87% Ivermectin paste, pea sized amount like I would have with rabbits 3 days ago. She's actually lost more hair on her belly, no redness like in this picture though. Retreat in 7 days like when would rabbits or ?

I'm also wondering if it could be a Vit C issue? She's not really loosing hair or seem otherwise off, but after getting a really good going over on the male...not a single bald patch.

Attachments

• MAY_0001-004.JPG
    MAY_0001-004.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,753
She's slightly over a year, has had pups prior to. She came to me pregnant, but lost her litter on the 24th...I'm rather happy she did, she had 9 pups. I counted each body, I have NEVER seen a pig have that many. They were smaller and see thru except for a few, obviously not full term babies. She's separated from the boar, but I do not know if I caught her in time after she had the pups. She never showed any signs of milk. Prior to my purchasing her and him on the 21st, I was told she'd weaned a litter not too long ago (no exact date was given).

I'll do that, add powder Vit C to water. I'm making sure both have unlimited food to them. Not really bony or bad body wise but I'd like for them both to be a tad bit more filled out, they won't be overly fat if they gain just a bit but they're not in a what I'd consider danger and high concern either. I chalk it up to new move, change in diet, new caging, worming, and stress. Both have good appetites and are still really friendly.

nine pups... I had a guinea pig die once who had 10 in her belly... just too many for her I think as she'd shown no signs of poor health before I found her dead one day..

having large litters is rough on guinea pigs.

That's an awful lot. I don't think I got to her in time, she's getting quite "fat" again. Good news is the Vit C extra has helped a great deal, her belly already has new fuzzy hair covering her :)

I'm hoping she does OK this time. I originally got them for breeding, never thought about 9 pups. I wonder if there's any way to improve the number odds, like less pups?

Latest posts

Back