Guinea pig health issue.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
okay..
Background information.

six month old sow.
Pupped two extremely large pups.. took almost 24 hours for her to have them. Also had one live pup which she raised, it's now four weeks old.

Over the past week she had developed a bump on her belly.
it's soft, flexible, hasn't grown or diminished in size.

Owned by folks who can't and won't do the vet visit.

guinea pig appears to not be affected adversely by this lump.

It's below her nipple above the pelvic region.

I've asked for pics, haven't gotten them though I have seen the bump and my first thought was a cancer OR a hematoma of some sort. The lump didn't develop until after she was potentially bred. She seemed healthy and fine and they were hoping for a bigger litter to prevent a recurrence of the gigantic pups.

Thoughts on what it could be?

Maybe it is a hernia? Three weeks post delivery seems like a long time span if she tore her abdominal muscles, but is it possible they just didn't notice right away?

ladysown":jsf18rjc said:
it's soft, flexible, hasn't grown or diminished in size.
ladysown":jsf18rjc said:
my first thought was a cancer

I believe that cancerous tumors are most often firm and irregular in shape.

Really hard to tell without seeing it. We had a random bump occur in the same area on a guinea pig that never had pups. It turned out to be a harmless cyst. The bump was still covered in hair and not discolored.

well here we have prayer at work......the lady's daughter has been praying about it and it's shrinking..

So that means.. Not cancer, probably a hematoma or something... maybe a swollen milk gland?

I dunno.. but it's apparently getting better woot woot! :)

Back