Register

Guinea pig dressout ratio

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
1 year of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 621.00

Re: Guinea pig dressout ratio

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Ghost » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:20 pm

Ok, I got a second crack at eating guinea pig. I was able to get weights on it, but I used a hand made balance, to weigh against a bottle with rocks and water. After weighing the bottle on a market scale, I assume my accuracy is ±20%. In other words these are just rough estimates.

The guinea I took weighed 2.3Lbs at death, One of the larger European mutts. Dressed out she weighed 1.2 Lbs including liver heart and kidneys. This gave me a yield of 50% for meat+fat+bone. Not the best, but these GPs were not breed as meat GPs. Still glad she gave me about a pound of meat.

The butcher style I used I call western skin-off, which means head and feet removed, along with the skin (I used open skinning). This is different to a western skin-on where the guinea pig is scalded and and the fur is plucked out.

GPs have a good amount of meat in the neck/head region. Because of this, when you dress a headless carcass, the best dress-out ratio is obtained by keeping as much neck on the body as possible. After examining the severed head, I did find that there was a single vertebra attached to the skull, even though I would have preferred to cut the head from the final vertebra.

Here are pictures of the final dressed meat carcass.
Attachments
meat-carcass-01B.jpg
guinea pig meat carcass ventral side
meat-carcass-01B.jpg (39.59 KiB) Viewed 138 times
meat-carcass-01A.jpg
guinea pig meat carcass dorsal side
meat-carcass-01A.jpg (36.94 KiB) Viewed 138 times
You have to do the most good for the most. You most remember that a few will won't make it. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear for the ones lost along the way, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".

The following user would like to thank Ghost for this post
michaels4gardens

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,640.00

Re: Guinea pig dressout ratio

Post Number:#17  Unread postby akane » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:22 am

While a pound of remaining carcass seems small keep in mind the dress out on a rabbit not bred specifically for meat purposes but still from commercial body types will frequently barely get you 50% and 60% is usually plenty acceptable for a meat line. Poultry do surpass mammals in that aspect with closer to 70-80% hot or hanging carcass weight. They barely have a head, legs (do have uses), or any heavy bone to the parts removed along with a shorter digestive tract. To get around 50% when all inedibles but bone are removed out of a lighter boned mammal is not a bad end product depending what you spend on feed. Now go search up some new "receta de cuy". ;)
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
michaels4gardens, Thorn

Previous