Guess what showed up at my house last night?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allranger

Reaction score
We had some friends come over last night and when they left one of the guys came back and and said I had a rabbit loose in the front yard. I went out to look with the flashlight and sure enough there was a rabbit but it was not mine. I was able to catch him and gave him some food and water. Think he might have some Chinchilla in him. I'll see if I can find his owners but no one seems to know who has any rabbits in the area...

Attachments

• rabbit.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,177
You think he has a little Chin?
Blow into the coat and if you see rings of color,
it';s a Chin. He certainly looks like a chin in that photo.
How large [heavy] is he? He may be an American Chin.
Dennis, C.V.R.

I started cleaning him up after work today. He had a lot of fur that was half shed out so I brushed him. He is a little lean and I can feel his backbone. He was pretty dirty and after I brushed him he is lighter in color than I first suspected. He is not a recent escapee judging by his condition.
He does have rings when I blow on his fur. They are not as distinct as the picture here http://www.rabbitgeek.com/acrings.jpg but there are rings. Hard to say as he is very dirty and has a lot of foxtails that are being brushed out. I had a very large pile of hair on the floor after I was brushing him, enough to stuff a pillow according to my wife. He is very tame and I let him hop around the house a bit.
Dennis, I think you are right that he may be an American as he is the size of my Champagne buck, so roughly ten pounds. But I have not weighed him yet. He is a little darker than most of the American Chinchilla pics I have found online, but I know they vary some.
He is in a quarantine area and I don't have him with my other rabbits. I have thought about getting some American Chinchillas but not like this. I did kind of want them with a pedigree.
I have a rabbit show coming up on the 23rd of Oct. so I may just tattoo him and enter him for some fun, get the judges opinion. His coat will be in it's prime by that time. :-D

I'll get a better picture in a few days after I have him fully brushed out and bathed.

Allranger,
there are Darker and lighter Chins.
It is good to have a variety since there are
some Judges which prefer/favor the lighter colored specimens
and some who prefer the Darker colored ones.
I wish you great success with your treasured find.
Things always happen for a reason!
Dennis, C.V.R.

Back