Guardy Buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 10 month buck that I've had since he was 6/7 weeks old. I've been breeding him since he was ready and overall he's been a nice boy. Likes to court his ladies a bit and lets them play hard to get but does get the job done, not a 'Tarzan' type at all. I've used him about 4 times, no problem.

Today I put a doe in and he got really amped - I'm not against enthusiasm but he became possessive of the doe. Between services he was thumping at me and grunt-growling. Did his best to herd her in a corner and keep me out of their business. After he serviced her 3 times he got distracted by my dog (who was just passing by) and I fished the doe out...thankfully my cages open from the top and it's easy to reach in. When I went back to put his shelter/box back in the hutch he was still amped and he bit my hand - not hard - just a pinch and no blood but I do have a little sore spot.

Never had a guardy buck - and this buck's daddy (whom I have as well) is a real sweetheart, a bit more of a cave-man but he's not aggressive.

Is there anything I can do to fix his behavior or does anyone know if it will get worse? I'd like to keep him but it's not the end of the world if he gets culled.

I have a shy buck, I pet him all the time, even when there's a doe with him. Maybe with a glove on, you can try that. Getting him used to you touching him when he has a GF with him.

I have a buck that does his little thumpy dance when he makes the connection ... that is how I know whether to leave the doe for more falloffs, or not :cheesysmile:

I do have to be careful when removing the does as the buck is quite possessive at that time. This is a natural behavior and should not continue after the hormones have abated. To prevent biting, I will remove the buck and have someone hold him, or put him in the runout pen, then remove the doe. I also make sure to bring my hand up and over the buck so he doesn't have an opportunity to bite me.

I don't know which is funnier, the falloffs or the thumpy dance :p

Back